Hydration and hydrating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grandizer52

Contributor
Reaction score
Wanted to start this thread due to there being a unwritten rule to diving and Hydrating/dehydrating. If you have ever been De-hydrated, would like to hear A) what caused it, B) what you did to over come, C) what lessons you learned, D) what is the further prevention.

1) how much liquid (insert beverage) do "you/diver" consume before a dive ?
2) how much liquid (insert beverage) do "you/diver: consume after a dive ?
3) Do you take hydration with you on a dive? Capri sun, Camel Bak, hydration bag, "FLEET BAG"

Looking forward to seeing this one grow

V/R
Steve

I drink a liter on the boat ride out to the site.

Then a half liter or so between the two dives

then the rest on the way back

and I'm going to start packing a third liter

Those Aquafina liter bottles. I've considered taking a camelbak but the bottles are easier to handle, tougher to puncture and I don't care what happens to them, just leave them in the bag, then the recycle at the dock. A soaked bladder carrier on the other hand is a hassle.

I just hydrate like I normally do. I drink a lot of water anyway, so nothing special. I don't force hydrate or make a conscious effort to hydrate. It is just something I do.

Does it bother you at all that there is no evedence that dehydration has an effect on the safety of recreational dives? Maybe unweitten rules are not worth much

Although you will hear many people say that poor hydration is a key (or even THE key) factor in decompression sickness, there is no good research to support that. Being hydrated is important, but not to the point that you have to be drowning yourself in liquids throughout a dive day.

I will also head off another concept I expect to be raised: although caffeine does have a diuretic effect, it is not a strong one. In a typical cup of coffee, you will take in more water than you will lose through the effect of the caffeine.

As most people are away, it is said that dehydration can help cause DCS, and even though there is no strong empirical evidence to support this, why would you test it? Better be safe than sorry

If I'm thirsty before a dive, I'll drink water. If I'm thirsty between dives, I'll drink. And after the dives are all done, I'll drink.

Just depends on how I feel that day. I'm not worried about having to urinate during a dive because I do my business before (or between) dives. I know that if I drink so that I'm comfortable, there's probably no chance of DCS (regardless of research).

As most people are away, it is said that dehydration can help cause DCS, and even though there is no strong empirical evidence to support this, why would you test it? Better be safe than sorry

There is a wide spectrum between dying of thirst and dying from water poisoning. I don't think anyone is advocating intentionally dehydrating yourself when diving. What they are saying is that one does not have to be obsessive about it.

i'm thinking that the body knows what it needs.
so, if i'm thirsty, i drink.
if i'm hungry,i eat.
tired... and so on.
still breathing,not in bad shape for the abuse...,and haven't been bent.
have fun
yaeg

There is a wide spectrum between dying of thirst and dying from water poisoning. I don't think anyone is advocating intentionally dehydrating yourself when diving. What they are saying is that one does not have to be obsessive about it.

Yes, definitely, I agree with that, obsessing about it could only do harm, as is in most cases, moderation is key

What I do believe though, is that since there is a chance that not drinking enough water can cause DCS, taking an extra glass or two can't really do any harm (It could actually make your wetsuit feel warmer!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom