Hydro stamping question "VE"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does the 6351 have to have the VE stamped into the neck after it passes a hdyro. I've run into a hydro facility that only puts a plastic sticker on the neck.

49 CFR 180.213(f)(9) says that the marking must be done "plainly and permanently into the metal of the cylinder".

Elsewhere it says the markings must be made by stamping, engraving, scribing or other method that produces a legible, durable mark.

So a sticker is probably out. It is possible they may have some sort of approval from the DOT to use a sticker (stickers are used on composite tanks which can't be stamped, and on some fire extinguishers) but I'd want to ask them about it and be sure they know what they are doing.

All the same, even if they are doing it according to the regs it may make it hard to get the tank refilled elsewhere someday, so I would ask them to stamp it.

Did they do your tanks? It would be interesting to see a photo of the sticker.

Does the 6351 have to have the VE stamped into the neck after it passes a hdyro. I've run into a hydro facility that only puts a plastic sticker on the neck.

49 CFR 180.213(f)(9) says that the marking must be done "plainly and permanently into the metal of the cylinder".

Elsewhere it says the markings must be made by stamping, engraving, scribing or other method that produces a legible, durable mark.

So a sticker is probably out. It is possible they may have some sort of approval from the DOT to use a sticker (stickers are used on composite tanks which can't be stamped, and on some fire extinguishers) but I'd want to ask them about it and be sure they know what they are doing.

All the same, even if they are doing it according to the regs it may make it hard to get the tank refilled elsewhere someday, so I would ask them to stamp it.

VE is required on the 6351 tanks. If they can afford a $1700 eddy current machine why can't they buy a $15 VE stamp. DOT regs plainly say it must be PERMANENTLY applied on the neck after the hydro date. Composite cylinders get a sticker applied under a layer of epoxy. IMO if they are willing to risk the fines associated with this they are possibly not testing them at all.

They did take the tanks and hydro them. Interesting that he mentioned to me that they had to be VIPed for visual inspection but I noticed that my to aluminums didn't have the VE stamped on them like some other older ones that I had done at a different place. I'll post a photo of the stickers this weekend when I pick them up.

...stickers are used on composite tanks which can't be stamped, and on some fire extinguishers...
I've had steel cylinders come back with metal engraved stickers vice stamping on the neck. The tanks in question were Fabers that I'd stripped after getting some rust under the original paint in the boot area (remember that batch?) and had a clear epoxy paint job - I wonder if the facility thought they were dealing with something they shouldn't stamp...
Rick

I've had steel cylinders come back with metal engraved stickers vice stamping on the neck. The tanks in question were Fabers that I'd stripped after getting some rust under the original paint in the boot area (remember that batch?) and had a clear epoxy paint job - I wonder if the facility thought they were dealing with something they shouldn't stamp...
Rick

I don't know how they wouldn't know what they were dealing with? The DOT # clearly identifies what material the cylinder is made of. I stamp all cylinders unless they are composite (Carbon Wrapped). Some steel tanks have to be stamped with a low stress stamp set though. It is my understanding that an epoxy coated sticker would not be considered permanent on a steel cylinder.

I don't know how they wouldn't know what they were dealing with? The DOT # clearly identifies what material the cylinder is made of. I stamp all cylinders unless they are composite (Carbon Wrapped). Some steel tanks have to be stamped with a low stress stamp set though. It is my understanding that an epoxy coated sticker would not be considered permanent on a steel cylinder.
The tanks have the clear epoxy paint job, not the "stickers." I think they decided not to stamp through the lovely clear epoxy.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom