Hydrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulSmithTek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was curious I understand that Hydrox is an experiment gas. But what is in it? Is it a mix of gases? I am curious if anyone knows or has any links about it.

Hydrox is a mix of Hydrogen and oxygen
it has only been used experimentally in very low oxygen mixtures in habitats because it can (as you can probably image) explode fairly easily

Wow! Yeah I dont think I would like to dive with something like that. You might as well strap some C4 on yourself and push the plunger. LOL

PaulSmithTek:
I was curious I understand that Hydrox is an experiment gas. But what is in it? Is it a mix of gases? I am curious if anyone knows or has any links about it.
It is a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen. It is explosive with oxygen concentrations greater than 3% so it is only used for very deep applications. Hydrogen is a very abundant element and is much easier to obtain than helium but has other issues that makes it unsuitable for recreational diving:bangboom:

I suggest reading the information on this webpage.

Because of the restriction on oxygen content, it can only be used at depth where higher ppO2 will prevent hypoxia. As a result, seperate gas mixtures are required for travel.

That is a very intresting article and I appriciate everyones feed back. Please keep information comming. I love to do research and have a broad knowledge in alot of diffrent areas. Thanks

Hydrox was actually the original creamy filled chocolate cookie, made by the Sunshine Bakery. They were copied by Nabisco, which introduced the competing Oreo. Eventually the Oreo took over the majority of market share, even though the Hydrox was actually a better cookie. The Hydrox was eventually withdrawn from the market after several decades, in 1996.

MIKE,

I appricate the feed back not quite what I was looking for though. LOL:05:

Back
Top Bottom