I almost DIED in Grand Cayman!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for all the kind words.
To answer a thought... I started diving because we have alot of divers in my family, and my husband fell in love with it. I've always had fishtanks, LOVED to swim since I was in diapers, and love the water. But it was a rare dive if it was stress-free. I just had too many things "spooking" me along the way. I've seen some incredible things underwater... that's enough.

Funny thing, I have a mom's group online, and posted my story there. Low & behold, some mom on the east coast has also dove this exact area, and aborted the dive herself in poor weather. She also had issues getting back and out.

I emailed the dive shop, not to point fingers, rather to make them aware.
To those that work at a dive shop, I ask that you never worry about insulting someone's ability or experience. When I asked that guy about swim-throughs I've never done, something should have clicked and he should have asked more about my diving portfolio. We both would have quickly realized I was (and perhaps DH) was out of my league.

And FWIW, I took a peak bouyancy class just prior to going on this trip, and pulled out my dive manuals, and watched some dive stuff online. I *thought* I knew what I was doing, and all was "fresh" in my mind. Ahhh doy, I was wrong in many ways.

I don't feel bad about "retiring." It's what's best for me. But I feel HORRIBLE about what had to happen to get here.

.....But I feel HORRIBLE about what had to happen to get here.

Feel bad about nothing. It was a life experience and that is all that differentiates us from everybody else on this rotating ball of rock. You are better off than many....you have experienced some of the wonders of the ocean first hand and ever got tossed around. But hey...YOU WON. That is important. You are going out on top.

Do what I would do.....spend lots of money on a camera and take up photography. That is now almost as big a travel passion of mine as scuba diving. YIKES....I never thought that was possible.

more...

Re: the anxiety - I don't have it out of the water. I'm a very level-minded person, and a nurse, to boot. I've handled some serious medical and psych issues with confidence and grace. I shared the anxiety part of it because IT SHOCKED THE HECK OUT OF ME. Knowing I spazzed in Belize should have stopped me, but I felt great the following two dives. I did the Cayman dive b/c I honestly didn't know how bad it was out there.

As for local dives, I live in Minnesota. They don't make a dry suit warm enough to dive local, in my opinion, lol.

And I'm not BLAMING anyone but myself. Heck, can't even blame the husband for his chitty navigation b/c he saved my life. haha. But the shop should have told us what we were up against. It's not a case of "buyer beware" ... it's some little girl's MOMMY they could have played a better part in protecting. We can agree to disagree on that if you want, but it's just not safe to send out ignorant divers. We're not idiots, we would have never gone had they told us it MAYBE was not the safest of conditions that day.
We did float on our backs (with backs inflated) and did kick low in the water. Thank goodness my husband got a stiff fin, or we would have been done for!

Your thoughts, good or bad, on this are most welcome, that's why I posted it here.

Did everyone miss the statement that she will never dive again. Apparently, she will not need training to "not dive" and figuring why she went diving in the first place is not necessary for future diving, she is not going to dive anymore.

But the answers she received may help someone else who is in her situation but had not gotten the big scare yet and the possibility exist that for them it could be more than just a scare.

Do what I would do.....spend lots of money on a camera and take up photography. That is now almost as big a travel passion of mine as scuba diving. YIKES....I never thought that was possible.
Do not listen to his diabolic thoughts :devil:..you end up bankrupt like him:rofl3:

Just to understand, It looks to me that what triggered the panic cycle is that you worried about swimming 300ft (~100mt) & freaked out..but again you say that you're a good (above average?) swimmer?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

2 identical threads merged,no double posting please

Thank you

Do not listen to his diabolic thoughts :devil:..you end up bankrupt like him:rofl3:

Just to understand, It looks to me that what triggered the panic cycle is that you worried about swimming 300ft (~100mt) & freaked out..but again you say that you're a good (above average?) swimmer?

Umm..kinda. When I've gone back to think about this (over and over and over again) I start to panic all over again when I think of floating alone out in open rough water. (aka the Sipidan and Belize thing, too).

I am an above-average swimmer...at least without scuba gear on. I was varsity swim team and syncronized swim team in highschool, and love the water.

As for the camera... I'm just about to jump to DSLR. Email me with your thoughts! bruuhaahaaa!!!!!!

......As for the camera... I'm just about to jump to DSLR. Email me with your thoughts! bruuhaahaaa!!!!!!

Wow....what an coincidence. I just bought my XSi a couple weeks ago and have tripled the number of lenses that I started out with....if there is one thing I can help with.....going overboard with spending money on hobbies :D. Like I said earlier, all kidding aside, you have experienced things that many others have not and stopping now is a good thing because it affords you the time to take on something else that you enjoy (such as an SLR - I spent a ton of time playing with my XSi since I got it). AND the best thing.....your family is closer because of what you have experienced.

Canon 5D MKII, Nikon D700,.... + 1:1 macro lens + 70-200 lens :D

You can add a Sony PS3 as well, for indoor fun.

Wow. A number of folks can read your story and get something out of it. It seems as if your husband would do better with a different buddy. I know you want to share his experiences, but you are correct to quit after this experience (although it seems it was cummulative).

But the experience alone, IMO, is not what should have made the decision. It is the clearly uncomfortableness (I think that should be a word) you have in the water when in scuba gear. If diving the amount you did prior to this did not ease the feeling, then I doubt you could overcome it.

The idea of floating in open ocean is scary, for sure. But in order to get you safe, you would have had to fight that feeling, get calm, and help solve the problem. The panic you felt at the possible outcome is what seemed to paralyze you. Panic is what makes most people, diving or not, bite it. If you are a nurse, you've seen it.

So, thanks for your story. I hope folks learn all the lessons it provides.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom