I almost DIED in Grand Cayman!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The more you post it is clear that your anxiety and ultimately panic was the issue, not the conditions. Your continuing statements that you were going to die just reinforces this. Being on the surface, even in large seas does not result in immediate death.

In the worst case the proper thing to do would have been to get positively buoyant, deploy a surface signal and then wait calmly for help. If possible trying to get to shore is great idea, but not the #1 objective. Grand Cayman, even offshore is quite busy. Additionally if you rented even just tanks and filled out the waivers; at some point the shop would have become concerned.

While I have never been "lost" at sea for long, I have been in situations where this was a distinct possibility. Last June, off the coast of Darwin Island in the Galapagos; I surfaced (after completing a solo safety stop after being separated from our group) more than a mile and a half from the nearest diver or panga. The seas were in the 6' range. While certainly not the most comfortable of situations - I would never state that I was "going to die". But as this all took place 600 miles off the coast of South America and other than our Liveaboard, no other boats where in the area,if I had not been found quickly it might have been a long night. In any case, I deployed my safety flag and kept my 6' safety sausage inflated. Additionally I honked on my Alert Horn every couple of minutes. The only other thing I could do was just lean back and relax. Luckily in just under 10 minutes I was spotted, no harm, foul... and my kids still had a father.

We all have are own limits and finding yours is not a bad thing. For me, slightly challenging mine makes it easier to get up in the morning.

more...

But the shop should have told us what we were up against. It's not a case of "buyer beware" ... it's some little girl's MOMMY they could have played a better part in protecting. We can agree to disagree on that if you want, but it's just not safe to send out ignorant divers. We're not idiots, we would have never gone had they told us it MAYBE was not the safest of conditions that day.
We did float on our backs (with backs inflated) and did kick low in the water. Thank goodness my husband got a stiff fin, or we would have been done for!

Your thoughts, good or bad, on this are most welcome, that's why I posted it here.

Some thoughts after "skimming" this article and responses. No way intended to be a slam against the OP, but just some general observations from someone who is very familiar with the island and done a lot of diving there.

My buddy and I are highly experienced, well trained divers but we always ask for a site survey from one of the staff at a shore dive site if we haven't been there recently. We don't trust our memory on how things were last time we were there.

We ask staff or other divers exiting the water on a conditions report. Current, viz, etc.

We check out the exit/entry point, and decide where we are heading if they have markers present, pre-dive.

We always carry a compass, check recipricol heading to our exit point and we verify our headings at several points during the dive.

We carry a SMB (lift bag), spool and a small safety whistle. We ask staff what their responses are if they see a bag break the surface and inform them if we plan to conduct any drills prior to starting our dive.

We have a predetermined time/gas supply to be back to the surface/exit point with.

There are several other factors to our dive plans as well, but since they are mostly due to us doing technical wall dives and most people are just doing recreational stuff, I'll stop there.

Safe diving everyone!

...thanks for sharing your story. I'm not gonna Monday-morning-quarterback ya, or try to convince you to give the sport a second chance, I can recognize what a lost-cause that would be...also, I'm undergoing a scuba 'motivation' crisis myself (broke up with my long-time dive buddy of several years just last month) and am experiencing a severe bout of apathy towards scuba these days...I'm having to rethink all my future dive plans...I've always had trips planned months, even a year or two in advance, but now, I've got absolutely nothing planned, and don't really have anything under serious consideration either...which is completely out of character for me....when will I, snap out of it ? Who knows ? ...but things do change for people, as I'd never have expected to find myself in this situation, I didn't plan for this contingency.

From reading your account of all the near disasters I would say that you should never have been certified to begin with.Seems like someone cut corners to certify you.Having issues with a snorkel is not going to happen if you know what you are doing,and running low/out of air is poor planning and no situational awareness on your part.Why not just inflate your bcd ,go on your back and take a leisurely kick back to shore?
Just for curiosity sake,how much lead did you have on and what did you wear for exposure suit? I can guess that it was way too much.
A 300 ' swim with scuba gear on is no big deal.If you think it is easier without the gear on then you are wrong again.The site you mentioned on Grand Cayman is a very easy spot, its a spot that is used for uncertified "discover scuba" people to use,and if conditions made you concerned you should have said NO to the dive.
As for being advanced certified sounds like you paid for a class,did little to participate in it and was given a card.Where was your navigation skills? It is not rocket science and a simple thing to learn.If you cannot do a measured swim with some turns thrown into it and come back to the boat/shore within a few feet then you did not pay attention during that part of the ow or advance class or the instructor was negligent.
I truly do not mean to slam you but perhaps to slam the instructor who certified you without being sure that you are comfortable in the water.Was the advance course instructor the same one as your openwater class?

We recently went on a dive trip of the western carib - Honduras, Belize, Cayman and Cozumel. I am sharing my story not for the drama, but that other divers, new or old, can maybe learn something from it. We made a few small mistakes, but luckily, ended up alive.

I've retired from diving. If you're looking for some brand new gear for a great price, I'll be listing it soon. (lol)

If you have dove this area, I would love your thoughts on what happened. (good or bad)

Friday, Jan. 16th, our lives changed. It was the worst of days, it was the best of days.
Below is a copy of my (long and detailed) recap of the event, when Davez saved my arse, bigtime.

Whew.

So to set things up, both Davez and I are "advanced" open water diver certified, and have done some pretty awesome dives in some pretty crazy places. (Indonesia, Borneo, Thailand, Viet Nam, PR, etc. ) I'll admit I've never really fallen in love with the idea of scuba, and get nervous each and every time. We pushed ourselves a bit further this summer, buying all own gear, (uncle works for Mares) thinking that will force us to go places and do something together.
My fear, I suspect, stems from an "incident" in Palau Sipidan (Borneo) in '06 where the majority of our dive group desended (incl DiveMaster) and left some of us at the top. It was a pinnacle wall dive, with huge currents, and once we went down to find them, all you saw was blue. No land, no bottom, just water. We were 110 ft down in a matter of seconds, and what was a VERY dangerous situation ended up fine. But I was scarred and scared for life.

Flash ahead to this dive trip, a wall dive was sprung on my in some shady Belize weather. I was still getting used to my gear, diving in general, and just really was not enjoying myself. Ever since baby, I get SO worried about being a mom, it's hard for me to get into it. I warned the DM I was feeling skittish, and asked if he'd stick by me (and David/my dive buddy). He agreed, but then went down with the others, leaving us floating once again, at the top, with crazy waves and a boat captain yelling that he had to move the boat.

I bailed. I got too nervous. I've never had a "panic attack" in a textbook sense, but from what I read about, I think I just had my 1st one that moment. It was very hard for me to be this way, but my mind over-ruled my body.

We did some really simple easy shallow dives in Honduras (Roatan) the next day, and I was surprisingly fine. Medicated, but fine.

So we hit Grand Cayman, the last stop on our dive trip. It was a crappy day at sea, and storms were coming into port later in the day. One area was already closed, but they said to hit the Devil's Grotto/Eden Rock area, it was sheltered and had nice stuff. We couldn't miss Cayman diving!
We picked a reputable dive shop with the reef RIGHT in front. Got geared up, seas were ok, but getting busier. The guy said it was a simple navigation - basically two big ***-tays of coral heads, you swim out, go down to about 40-50ft, and either head left or right around the "boob", checking out some caverns and swimthroughs with windows on the way. I mentioned I hadn't done many of those, he said 'no worries, just feel comfortable going in, or turn around and exit, there was room.

So we geared up and made the long strenuous surface swim out to the spot. We chose to go left (Mistake: don't know why, right would have made more sense with the wind and currents) and had a nice dive for about 40 minutes. We followed a turtle (temptress) and passed a bouy line on the way. I pointed it out to David, thinking we should follow that up in a few minutes, just a bearing marker. We had a few minutes left on air, thought we were heading in the right direction (we were not) and after our safety stop, we went up.

To our shock, we were at least 300 ft from shore, and much further down past the dive shop than we thought. Way past it. My heart just about sank.

I didn't have much air left to go back down and swim, nor enough weights on to go back down a few feet to kick underwater. We had to kick on the surface. Well, TRY.

After few minutes of seeming we were going nowhere but further down the coast, and deeper out to sea, I stopped. My snorkel was working too well, often "shutting off" my breath. Using my regulator was futile as well. David helped pull me, but somehow the simple act of grabbing my BCD (inflatable vest) was freaking me out more. Logically I knew I couldn't sink with my wetsuit and BCD on. (Mistake: What I should have done was drop my tank and weights right off the bat, a small price to pay for easier movement)
But I knew we were in trouble. BIG trouble. The winds were making the sea downright pissed off now, and once I saw that we had ONE chance to get UP CURRENT to a break in the sea wall, and that was it for miles... well... panic set in. The PTSD of the crashing waves, tired legs, the panic of the situation... honestly, I did not stay cool. Not cool at all.

David, being the strongman he is, was pretty level about the situation. I remember him trying the soft gently approach, the firm approch, the "just relax, I'll pull you in" aproach. But my mind and sea had taken over my body, I was helpless. It's horrible just to type those words.

But I was never hopeless. I KNEW he would get us out of this. I didn't know how, the situation was truely and honestly very serious. We had to make that ramp area, or I would never be able to get up the sea wall. The waves would knock us out trying. I remember screaming. I recall looking for help, and no one was there. 3000 shipmates and Georgetown full of locals, and no one. Just David.

He pulled on me and the last thing I remember was smashing against the black lava rock wall. I can kind of remember struggling a bit, getting pushed in and out with the tide surge, but at some point, I became unconcious. (we later think it was the panic that did it, not a hit, as I had no marks on my head) While there was no bright white light and angels, I did dream about something. (what?) At one point I remember hearing David screaming for help, and his voice was off in the distance, so I knew I was alone. I get tears in my eyes and a lump in my heart every single time I hear that scream. I feel so horrible for rendering us so helpless. I guess I was out for a "few minutes" (hard to tell in a time like this) and in a movie-style fashion, David eventually woke me up by slapping my square across the face. (the only part of this story that makes me giggle) When I came around, I was sitting at the top part of the surge, and he was screaming for me to get up. We finally got me out of my gear, and somehow got up and walked to safety. I was covered in blood, lots of cuts and scrapes from the rocks. David's hands were filled with tiny urchin barbs, and later we both had useless swollen claws until we got tipsy enough to start digging them out. (ouch!) I am covered in some HUGE nasty bruises, and a whole slew of "no-see'um" bites from Honduras, which I'm allergic to. It's not pretty.

He eventually ran to the road, hailed a taxi, and we eventually got (most of) our gear back and went back to the ship. I was pretty much out of it (shock) and all David told the shop was that we "drifted a bit far down" and that was it. (I'll be sending them a copy of this to at least alert them. Wish I could blame them for this all, but really all they are guilty of is not second-guessing "Advanced divers" and warning us of the winds/tides, and the sea wall and lack of escapes. And the "titays" were NOT clearly defined. The reef went on for a long time!)

At some point I stopped crying enough to promise David I would forever take out the diaper pail, (a promise I have since recanted in my recovery, haha) and vowed to retire from diving, effective immediatly. (which I will never recant.)

David saved my life. Literally. Had it not been for his physical and mental strength, and his ferocious perciverence... I would have most likely died that day.
I am grateful for his strength, and most honored to be his wife.

Before we left on this trip, I just content being a mom, and hated to leave my baby. I was in one of those places where his snoring was driving me up the wall, and I think we often drove eachother nuts. We went on this vacation because GOOD MARRIAGES MAKE GOOD PARENTS. Obviously this event has greatly affected us. I think we're still in shock that it happened. We appreciate eachother once again. We're kind to eachother more often than not. We'd hold hands, but they're too swollen and painful, but maybe next week we will. The night after this happened, we were in our tiny ship room, and I was silently sobbing as the ship rocked us back and forth. I was alive. Ava still had her mom and dad. And David's ferocious snoring percivered, like the sweetest lullabye there was.

First off sharing your experience can be a learning experience for others, and should help you get clear what went on.. A level of anxiety on the surface is common with alot of divers, for some its poor training, for other its lack of mental preparation, and for others its believeing an "advanced" card and thinking they are advanced divers..

What you experienced at several of the sites with the divers descending quickly, is common and a necessity on drift dives.. This should have been explained to you.. On a drift its important that the entire group descent together there is no room for someone lagging behind, if they don't decsend they have to abort... It sounds like an arrangement should have been made to have an additional DM just for you and your buddy..

I recently went on a trip with a good friend.. He is excellent underwater but somewhat unconfortable on the surface.. The trip was mostly drift diving (due to the weather and the moon) which he does not like.. For him I acted as the secondary leader and had to insure we stayed with the group or I took responsibility.. He head an issue on one dive, so I signaled the group to go ahead then remained on the surface with him keeping him calm and signaling the boat for pickup.. Two divers with limited experience aren't the best teams when it comes to diving conditions they are not familiar with..

I know the site on GC very well, if you looked at the topography of the island and layout you would have seen there were several other divesites with entry/exits in the direction of the current flow.. It is important to know your surroundings and options.. if you just stayed calm you could have had an easy exit albeit a longer walk.. ALso when there is a current it usually quickly dies at the wall (and when it is running its usually only for a limited period of time (so just wait it out)- there is usually 2 periods a day, and its worse at new and full moon) and there is enough boat traffic that you shouldn be floating that long..

If you just went with the flow you would have eventually ended up neat sunset house that has to easy exits (and plenty of mooring balls to aim for if you needed to just hang onto something)..

as another diver posted.. the easist way to deal with long swims on the surface is to just lay on your back.. you have lots of power and don't have to deal with a snorkel..

And I'm not BLAMING anyone but myself. Heck, can't even blame the husband for his chitty navigation b/c he saved my life. haha. But the shop should have told us what we were up against. It's not a case of "buyer beware" ... it's some little girl's MOMMY they could have played a better part in protecting. We can agree to disagree on that if you want, but it's just not safe to send out ignorant divers. We're not idiots, we would have never gone had they told us it MAYBE was not the safest of conditions that day.
We did float on our backs (with backs inflated) and did kick low in the water. Thank goodness my husband got a stiff fin, or we would have been done for!

It is really not the shop's fault at all. You should be, as certified divers, able to assess diving conditions yourself before you go for a dive. What kind of questions did you ask the shop? Cave diver has given a list of good ones, did you ask those?

Not trying to be harsh but everyone is responsible for their own safety. I am truely sorry you had such an awful experience diving and can well understand why you have given up on diving. You were clearly not trained well (that is not your fault so not knocking you) and whoever your instructor was should have done a much better job if you felt in such danger and close to dying in such conditions - a ~90m swim from shore. I would fault him/her well before the dive shop.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Coming from a different angle, before we had kids Cheddarguy & I were nuts, we tried everything.. Once you have kids things change, everything is scary. We sold our cycles, gave up doing tons of stuff because of the kids. I was scared stiff. They are so reliant on parents for everything. I think this has a lot to do with your panic atacks. Don't worry about giving up diving, it will wait for you to come back....... When your kids are bigger...but by then you won't be able to afford it, you have KIDS. Oh and living in WI, I totally agree to your drysuit comment....

Could'a, would'a, should'a...... Davezwife, I really feel for you and thank you for sharing a really tough experience with us. I think it takes guts to write a posting like this. I have read SO often here on SB "gosh, I dont know what came over me, I just panicked", in posts written by Noobs and also very experienced divers.
Its easy for us to sit here and say you shouldnt have been certified/were poorly trained/misjudged the conditions, but I know that you arent the only person here who has found themselves in a potentially very dangerous situation, or, (at LEAST as important in my eyes), a situation that you PERCEIVED to be life-threatening. Did you guys cause the situation to occur by using poor judgement? (currents, navigation, etc) Maybe so, but in that you aren't alone either....None of us were there with you on that day. Your honest posting can help some of us avoid similar mistakes.
So, kudos to you and your husband: lots of luck in the future, whether or not you dive again.

From reading your account of all the near disasters I would say that you should never have been certified to begin with.?

I truly do not mean to slam you but perhaps to slam the instructor who certified you without being sure that you are comfortable in the water.Was the advance course instructor the same one as your openwater class?

IMHO, for people sensitized by certain negative past experiences, anxiety can severely degrade performance and judgment despite training and positive experience.

It's pretty clear to me that anxiety alone could explain the major difficulties experienced by the OP, regardless of whether some of the precipitating circumstances could have been avoided.

I don't know any divers who haven't made diving mistakes, some major. Many of us will eventually make mistakes in the future. Throw anxiety into the mix and the outcome can become a toss up.... :shocked2:

Dave C

Once again, thanks for the comments.
As for my training, let's put it this way...
When I could not remember the correct name for "the porno push" swim (or which way we should be facing to do it...) I knew the drunk idiot in Koh Tao, Thailand (OW) and the english hottie in Kota Kinabalu (AOW) should not have been instructors, nor I their student.
Bottom line, the severity (and surprise) anxiety cause me to make an error in decisions, or hindered me from making the right moves.
My only hopes in sharing this story was to help at least one diver out once. (I hope).
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom