I am new 70 years old getting certified this week end at Tenkiller Lake in OK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howdy and welcome from south Florida......excellent choice for sport...

Welcome to the Wonderful Underwater World!!! I am 67 and a PADI Master Instructor (MI-29030 now retired). I think I understand how you feel, and I’m excited for you. Two things I would recommend: first, see your doctor every year and pay close attention to your cardiovascular system. You can improve your breathing capacity and therefore your ACR (air consumption rate - the rate you use up your air) by a simple excise whenever you’re sitting in front of the TV (or whatever); breathe in deeply - from the diaphragm not simple making your lungs larger - slowly for 4 counts. Hold your breath for 4 counts, then exhale slowly for 4 counts, and than count your 4 counts before you slowly breathe in again slowly. The trick here is SLOWLY. You might feel light-headed. Stop and breathe normally until you feel normal. Practice this and over time you will be able to increase the count to 6, 8, maybe even 16 or more. By teaching your cardiovascular system to use all the air (O2 actually) you breathe in (instead of the 10-15% which is normal) you can dive longer and - I’ve found - more serenely. BUT NEVER NEVER NEVER HOLD YOUR BREATH UNDERWATER! Just breathe slowly and always have your airway open. That will be hard the first couple times you get wet because of the “thrill” factor, and that’s wonderful. Just be aware of your breathing rate and try and slow it down a little. Secondly: those stupid tanks don’t get any lighter. In Oklahoma you’ll be diving a lot from the shore and will have to walk with your tank and weights a short way to enter the water. A little weight training at home every morning will help. Do the 5 pound curls with each arm and then slowly hold the weight over your head with both hands and lower them behind your back (if your Doc says that’s OK) and do some behind the back lifts - again do not strain and do it slowly. If you go to a GYM (I use my local YMCA) all the better. Keep in shape - I’m not telling you anything you do not already know. Just use common sense and be in the best shape you can be and you’ll enjoy years of diving. Welcome aboard!

Welcome to ScubaBoard - and the underwater world!

Hope you'll join in the discussion.

Ray

Welcome from Oregon

Welcome to ScubaBoard halschmidt! Congrats on your upcoming class! Wish you the best of luck and enjoy your new adventures!

Heck Yeah! 70yrs. old and getting certified.....AWESOME! Welcome to the forum. Lots to learn here.

Welcome,
Glad to see another old timer about to take the plunge. I am 68,almost 69 and am going to start back into scuba after being out of it for over 30 years.I was a PADI Open Water instructor back in 79 and have not dove since about 83.Realizing that life is to short,I have decided to do what I used to like to do more then anything.So now,I am riding my bike everyday to work my body back into shape for diving.Every little bit helps.
Good for you...go for it.

That's great... I'm sure you're going to love this new world and you will inspire many. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom