i am new to diving and i have a question about cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My initial outlay was $150 for pool sessions, and classroom. I don't want to think about costs beyond that! :D

If you shore dive, it may cost as little as air fills to dive. If you dive live-aboards than it can run you $3000 or more for a week of diving plus airfare! :11:

Diving is not the cheapest hobby out there. Like most hobby's as one acquires JUNK, and learns the ropes, there are ways to help minimize the expense, but that will not make it free.

hmm, let me see. I have been diving since June, '06 and have spent slightly over $12,000 on gear and another $14,000 on dive trips, not counting weekend trips off the Florida Panhandle which cost around $400-500 for the weekend, boat dives, meals, travel.
Kind of an expensive hobby, I guess, but I compare it to space exploration, it aint cheap but not everyone has the privilege and honor of seeing God's great splendor.

class $600
mask 100
fins 100
booties 50
gloves 30
snorkel 20 (obviously you can get cheaper or more expensive, but these are prices for good quality gear)
These are the necessary personal gear you'll need... after that comes
wetsuit 300
BC 500 (big range her but Ill say backplate wings and HOG harness)
Regulator 500 (again good quality but can get cheaper)
tank 150 aluminum
tank 400 steel
then all the little stuff like lights, compass, slate, nitrox class,
boat fees around here are ~$100
then you get:
doubles 1200
new wing 400
can light 1400
2 good regs 1000
drysuit 2000
argon kit 300
deco bottle 700 (with another good reg)
advanced nitrox class
deco class
cavern class
cave class
Trimix class
rebreathers...

by the way have you noticed that Diving is followed by Divorce in the phone book?

cost is a little high here. For instance, you have an aluminum 80 tank for 140 and a deco bottle(Al 40) for 700.

please help, I here that diving is a lot of money, i was wondering around how much will I be spending if i have my own equipment? i plan on going 2-4 times a month.

depends on what you're calling equipment & where you'll be diving(ie cold or warm water) ie ???mask, snorkle, regular, bc, wet suit(s), tank, wt. belts, weights, booties, fins, computer........$1000+ on new stuff, less on used stuff.........Best thing to do is go to about 3 or 4 places online & do the digging......leisurepro.com, Scuba.com, scubatoys.com, divers direct.com....You can do the math...........

My costs as a new diver for a full set of gear was approx $1800. There are several advantages to owning your own personal set of gear; 1: The gear is always available to you. 2: You know that the gear will fit properly and was maintained properly. 3: You will dive more often than if you rented all your gear.

If you cannot afford the expence of a full set right now talk to your LDS about any used gear packages that they may offer. Another option is to buy one or two pieces at a time and rent the rest, gradually building your gear up over time as your budget allows.

diving.jpg

Really depends on WHERE you're diving and WHAT KIND of diving you plan on doing.

Give us some more info: do you live in Hawaii and plan on doing mostly shore dives? That's gonna require a lot less gear (eg: money) than if you live in NJ and plan on boat diving year round.

Shore diving in Hawaii - OW cert, mask, fins, snorkle, BCD, regs, gauges, tank fills/rentals done

Boat diving in NJ - OW cert, mask, fins, snorkle, BCD, regs, gauges, tank fills/rentals, AOW cert, dry suit, dry suit undies, dry suit cert, reel, lights, catch bag, charter costs, etc, etc, etc

Need a lot more info. Do you know anyone who currently dives? I have 3 sets of everything and let buddies use extra gear whenever they wish.

please help, I here that diving is a lot of money, i was wondering around how much will I be spending if i have my own equipment? i plan on going 2-4 times a month.

Knowing where you are would help a little here so beef up your profile when you have a minute.

As others have said OW certification and cold water wet gear will come in around $2500 give or take $500. this will get you into good solid stuff that will be a very good value. You can spend a little less and surely a lit more.

Don't get spooked by talk of deco gear and a gazillion classes. Concentrate on being a good open water diver and take it one step at a time. This past weekend my wife and I moved the gear locker from the garage to the basement for the winter. We were amazed at the gear we have accumulated since starting in 2005. That stuff was not needed in the beginning and some of it still not needed, it's part of the addiction.

If you go out 2-4 times a month for a tank or 2 you will be getting good use out of your investment. If you can stay off pay boats and avoid ludicrous post dive meals out it's a cheap sport to sustain for the price of air and maybe $200 a year in maintenance.

Pete

BEWARE!!! Be advised that many of the responders here are serious gearheads and heeding their advice could lead you down the road to ruin. Buy a good quality set of basic gear and then cut up your credit cards!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom