I am officially a PADI OW Certified Diver!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfox007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So today I officially became a PADI OW certified diver!!!!

Yesterday was our first day of OW dives. We dove Vista Point at Lake Pleasant. Visibility was around 6-8' when we got there, but as the group descended to the bottom visibility got to around 3-4ft. The water was warm (IMO) wearing a 3/2 wet suit.

Once we got in the water in full gear I felt very comfortable. One of the instructors set a buoy to a rock about 35' down. It was about 100' of the shore. We swam on our backs out to the buoy, and began our skills tests. Our first dive into the murky water was interesting. With the low vis, it seemed like that guide line was A LOT longer than 35'!!! Even with the low visibility I felt pretty comfortable below the water. Since I had just flown back two days before from a business trip, I had all kinds of chest and sinus congestion. I took some Mucinex-D the night before, but it didn't help much. I had a small sinus block that was kind of painful for the first minute down, but it started to go away.

We were down for about 35 minutes the first time, and as soon as I surfaced I pulled my mask off and started hacking crap out of my throat!! Once I got rid of all of that, I felt much better.

We did a second dive to practice a few more skills. On the way down I made my first mistake (Which I pissed myself off to no end doing). I started down the guide about 10-15', and my mask started flooding. I accidentally inhaled some water through my nose, and b-lined back to the surface. Got my bearing back, and made it down the second time without incident. We were down about 29 minutes that time. Headed back to the surface, and broke down our gear.

This morning was our second and final day of OW dives. I still felt congested so I took some more medicine this morning. We got our wet suits on and our SCUBA setups all assembled and out to the water pretty quick. We swam out to the buoy to start our second day of skills. Today, our instructor wanted us to descend next to the guide-line in flat "lay-down" style position rather than the feet first holding on to the guide line like yesterday. I felt I did this pretty good, keeping the guide line in sight. Remained flat until I saw the bottom, and descended at a good pace. Once on the bottom, I had a minor freakout moment. Out of nowhere I felt like I couldn't get a full breath of air. I signaled to my buddy that something was wrong and I wanted to go up. After a few seconds of long deep breaths I was good to go, and did not surface. Unfortunately I also burned through about 500psi already!! We did two skills, and then our instructor took us deeper towards 60'. We hit a thermocline at about 46', and that was an interesting feeling. We got to about 50' and visibility was about 1 foot!! Our instructor had us hold hands, as he was having some trouble keeping track of the 6 of us in low vis. We made a long chain, and began swimming along the bottom towards our 35' guide line. While in the line the instructor was using his compass to keep us going in the right direction. A few feet up and I notice a large tree limb. The instructor was heading right for it, while looking at his compass. I tapped his arm, signaled "danger" in the direction of the tree limb. He signaled back "OK", and narrowly missed the branch! I felt pretty good about that!! :D

When we surfaced after about 42 minutes we did an air check and I was down to 900psi!!!! Quick trip back to shore, swap my tank, and we were back in business.

We finished up the day with some underwater navigation, full mask flood/removal and replace, and some CESA practice. I nailed the navigation on the first try. The CESA was the final item. We were lined up on a shelf at about 35' (10 divers and 2 instructors). One by one we did the CESA to the surface. I was in the middle so I was going to be one of the last to do this. Vis was about 4-5 feet. Once it got down to myself, and one other diver. We thought they forgot about us for a second. We literally sat on the bottom waiting for the instructor to come back down to single us to do the CESA. After about 7-8 minutes, one of the instructors comes into view and signals to the other diver to do the CESA. So here I am, alone, just hanging out 35' underwater. It felt like forever until the instructor came back down for me. I completed my CESA, and we were done!!! :cool2:

I am extremely excited to have completed my OW training. I'll have my C-Card in about a week. I felt I did good, but there are a few things I want to improve on. Mainly buoyancy and breathe control. I was a little bit of an air hog, but I credit that to my minor errors and my chest congestion. My goal is to get 25-30 dives in and then go for AOW.

I was actually really glad I did my cert dives in low visibility, as I'm sure it will feel much easier when diving in water that's clear.

I want to say thank you to Gary and Edward from Scuba Magic!! They were very detailed in their training, and I will be going back to them for my AOW certification.

Were you actually left alone on the bottom? If so, that is a significant violation of standards.

wow done in 2 days. bet you're worn out. we did 4 pool dives before we ever hit the lake then we did 3 lake dives. took 5 days.

Congratulations on finishing the course.

Were you actually left alone on the bottom? If so, that is a significant violation of standards.
We were lined up on a shelf at about 35' (10 divers and 2 instructors). One by one we did the CESA to the surface. I was in the middle so I was going to be one of the last to do this. Vis was about 4-5 feet.
So here I am, alone, just hanging out 35' underwater.
Holly smokes, alone at 35 feet with 4-5 feet of vis, that's signifcant.
Kudos for keeping your composure while you were left alone and completing your CESA from 35 feet. Most students only get to do it from 20 feet.

We got to about 50' and visibility was about 1 foot!! Our instructor had us hold hands, as he was having some trouble keeping track of the 6 of us in low vis.
I suspect he got lucky.

wow done in 2 days. bet you're worn out. we did 4 pool dives before we ever hit the lake then we did 3 lake dives. took 5 days.

4 pool dives......... really, what was the problem? 20 students in the class or something. 4-6 hours max in the pool. With eight students, maybe... 6-8 hrs. Im not saying extra pool time is bad, but you can only do so much in an open water class thats relevant...

---------- Post Merged at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:00 PM ----------

I agree with you... Not to mention the fact that there's this things called universal recognition program... Do your pool work at home and open water dives some where nice! who wants to do a cold water dive in a lake with 5' vis...

---------- Post Merged at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:00 PM ----------

So today I officially became a PADI OW certified diver!!!!

Congrats! You have just earned a license to learn, since much is needed. Best of luck to you! I recommend trying to do some training in a variety of locations to make you a better diver. Boat diving in florida is nothing like lake diving... Please keep this in mind when you go on your first dive trip somewhere. That card will get you on the boat but its up to you to be safe and dive within your training limits, which so far is is muddy lake water... Get my point? Not trying to be mean, just think about it.

Do your pool work at home and open water dives some where nice! who wants to do a cold water dive in a lake with 5' vis...

Actually, I applaud people who do their certification at home, despite less than ideal conditions. I spent a lot of time today talking to a very nice lady who is frustrated with her lack of comfort with local diving. The problem is that she doesn't DO local diving . . . the intervals between her home dives are so great that she feels as though she is starting all over again, every time.

Diving is a sport that is more fun as you get better at it. You only get better at it by doing it. Since most of us don't have the luxury of frequent warm water travel, we're much better off if we learn to dive in what we have. Then the water, clear water stuff is just plain easy!

4 pool dives......... really, what was the problem? 20 students in the class or something. 4-6 hours max in the pool. With eight students, maybe... 6-8 hrs. Im not saying extra pool time is bad, but you can only do so much in an open water class thats relevant...

well when there is like 6 video's all 30 minutes long, testing, treading water x amount of time, 100m swim, sipping air, mask floods etc a lot of that can wear you down i just can't see how it can be done it two days without risking a tired diver accident. to each his own. we had students that could have used 4-5 more dives before they were given their ow.

i just did my aow this weekend. 2 days and 5 dives. logged 3:54 minutes in two days and i am beat. i'm not in perfect health, but by far better health than other in my class. if you guys can do everything in ow in two days that's awesome. i wasn't taking anything away from him as a diver i just stated i bet he was beat.

At least two serious violations of standards. Leaving two students alone on the bottom and then leaving one by themself. Instructors should face serious actions from the agency.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

At least two serious violations of standards. Leaving two students alone on the bottom and then leaving one by themself. Instructors should face serious actions from the agency.

It is very possible that in low viz conditions, the instructors knew exactly where the students were. I sometimes take less experienced divers who sometimes lose sight of me, even though I have them in sight.

You seem to be quick to accuse.

To the op. Congratulations! Enjoy every dive.

Let me be a little more clear. The visibility was so bad, that if anyone was down there with me I couldn't see them. Once I got to the surface there were still two more students below apparently, but I couldn't see more than 4-5 feet. So I felt completely alone. Based on where they surfaced (and assuming they came straight up) they were at least 20-25 feet away from me.

---------- Post Merged at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:56 PM ----------

We did 2 days in the pool (4 hour sessions), and 2 days in the lake (also 4 hour sessions). This was after 2 days in the classroom. I was super tired after the first day in the lake. The wet suit was a PITA, plus it was a good 100' walk back up to the truck once we finished breaking down our gear. I wasn't tired at all today after our dives.

I'm not out of shape, but I wouldn't say I'm in shape. I've been working with a trainer for the last month and a half training for Rugged Maniac as wel, so I'm sure that helped.

Put it this way, because of my shoulders and chest I had to wear a XXXL wet suit and a XXL BCD. The wet suit was loose in the stomach, and long in the legs.

---------- Post Merged at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:56 PM ----------

Congratulations on finishing the course.

Holly smokes, alone at 35 feet with 4-5 feet of vis, that's signifcant.
Kudos for keeping your composure while you were left alone and completing your CESA from 35 feet. Most students only get to do it from 20 feet.

I suspect he got lucky.

Thanks!

I wouldn't say it was him being lucky, but more so some of the students didn't pay attention to the rest of the group.

Back
Top Bottom