I did it! I made OW Instructor!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations, Tammy. I agree with Jim Lap, what was the hardest part and was it what you thought before?

Congrats big time Tammy! I'm sure you'll do fine. Just a quick question-What was the hardest part and did you think it would be? Just asking cause I know when I got mine the thing I stressed over the most was actually alot easier than I made it out to be.

The hardest part, by far, for me was doing the lecture presentations (had to do 5). I don't have much experience in public speaking. It is becoming easier every time I do it, but I still get butterflies when I have to. Of course I'm sure it's totally different lecturing in front of a group of students who don't know if you're messing up or not, than in front of your instructor & peers, who do know the difference. I have to give the guys in my class credit. They did everything possible to try to put me at ease (cutting up & such). I will admit though, I did do much better than when I had to give the presentations for my Dive Con class. That time I was an absolute nervous wreck. I was physically shaking uncontrollably & my voice kept cracking. I was sooooo embarrassed. The actual skills demonstrations where not a real big problem, I did get a little nervous about the written exam, but did OK with it. The only other part that was difficult was a simulation of the class from Mergatroid. The Instructor had some of his instructors to act the part of wayward students, that we each got to try to lead on a dive. I wound up having students going every which way, was kind of like trying to herd kittens. It was set up to be a no- win situation, but taught us the importance of communication during the pre- dive briefing. I was beside myself by the end of the dive. I was both physically & mentally exhausted after that episode.

Yep. I feel for ya'll who haven't been teaching kids for years.... That part was easy but sooo boring for me. I mean I got to "learn how to write a lesson plan." Completely useful for everybody who doesn't do them every week anyhow. But I drooled on through. I got all 5's each time, but I still had to do the extras cause everyone else did...

The in water problem solving section was actually kinda fun. The one in the hotseat had to brief their skill and then drop below surface, while our instructor had us critique the briefing and then set each of us a wrong way or an "issue" to be solved if it wasn't briefed clearly enough. Poor us. I sat there trying to think of all the ways they could screw up so I could be ahead of them. That worked pretty well. It also helped us brief more clearly, and anticipate where students will have problems.. And we got to have fun having problems...... I actually liked that. You get to be the S and the M in that excersize.

I am happy for you. The hard part is yet to come. Even though you are ready, and have a DM or instructor there for supervision, the first class of your very own that you take to open water is the hardest scariest part. No matter how good you are, it's still All your responsibility, your class. You'll get through it fine. But it is a big responsibility if you take it all seriously like a good instructor does. Those who don't, wouldn't see the importance of all. You will be great. You work really hard and it will definietly show and pay off. Now go to work! :)

I am happy for you. The hard part is yet to come. Even though you are ready, and have a DM or instructor there for supervision, the first class of your very own that you take to open water is the hardest scariest part. No matter how good you are, it's still All your responsibility, your class. You'll get through it fine. But it is a big responsibility if you take it all seriously like a good instructor does. Those who don't, wouldn't see the importance of all. You will be great. You work really hard and it will definietly show and pay off. Now go to work! :)

Yes, I agree 100%. I plan, at this stage to take things step by step. I learned first hand the importance of having a Dive Con or another instructor there during an open water class last week, as I had to rescue one of our students. They are all having to wear very thick (2pc. 7mm wetsuits) because the water is becoming cooler. Of course, this makes them very buoyant at the surface & very negative below. The instructor had them to do a giant stride off a wall at the quarry (about 100ft deep at that point), then was going to have them drop down to 20ft, level off & swim to the shallow portion of the quarry. This one student had major issues with his buoyancy & we had to add a bit more weight. When he was taken care of he dropped down & his suit compressed. The weight belt slid down over his hips & he grabbed it. At that point he became completely fixated on this belt & quit kicking &/or inflating his BC. He began to sink & by the time I got to him (I was wearing my doubles because the instructors (2, with 2 Dive Cons) were using my recreational gear- huge class, but within standards). At that point his suit compressed more & he began to sink like a rock. I went after him head first & long story short, I caught him at 70ft. I did find out,that with adrenaline flowing that I can go down to the bottom of the quarry (42 degrees F) without a hood or gloves. He was still quite catatonic, so I had to do all the work of bringing us back up (really good thing I had my wings on, to help get the 2 of us started back up from those depths). I had a firm grip on his tank valve & wasn't going to let go, so I was not able to get to his BC to use it to help us. I did bring us up a bit fast, but with him in a passive panic, I did not want it to turn into a full blown panic case. I have to give him credit, he never let go of that belt (though I wish he would have before he really began to sink). Once on the surface & I calmed my nerves a bit, I explained to him what had happened. He said he had no idea he had gone that deep. I and another former student from the shop (his wife was in the class) got the diver squared away again a little better & he did fine after that. The instructor was at the head of the class & had no idea of what had happened, until I took her aside & explained. Needless to say, it scared the beejeebers out of me, & I was only doing the part of a Dive Con at that point. So, yes, I learned the value of having someone assist or supervise while in open water.

Congratulations Tammy.
Can't wait to hear about the first class you graduate !

Sorry it took me a few days to drop by and say CONGRATULATIONS!

I've only met you a couple of times but I think you have the personality and patience to make a great instructor.

Bob found the KPP! Greetings and congrats on the certification!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming!

Back
Top Bottom