I did not know selecting gear (BCD+REG) would be so confusing???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

everything EXCEPT BCD and regs and you are at 500$ already?? wow..mind detailing what and for how much?
If you are trying to make a good and wise purchase then why not call deep6 and e.g. dss and talk with them, they can give good advice and will from what I have heard not be afraid to tell you where to look if they cannot provide you with what you need

I have already purchased everything ($500) except a BCD and a Regulator package. This is why I am trying to make a goo and wise purchase '

If you bought mask, fins, snorkel and booties and are at $500 you have spent entirely too much money.

You say "everything but BCD and regs" which to me includes compass, knife, smb and DC. What exactly did you get for $500?

Fins-$99, Booties-$50, Spare parts kit-$29, Mask clean+Antifog-$15, gloves-$25, Cheap mesh bag-$15, mask w/GoPro attachment-$80, 10lb weights-$35, Suunto Zoop Novo-$330, NUAI OW Certification-$350, NUAI Nitrox Certification-$155, cost of hotel in Pompano Beach FL-$145, I probably even missed a few things.

Following this thread as I am in the same process. I am just now finishing up my OW certification and looking at buying my first regulator set. I personally have narrowed it down to 2 brands, ScubaPro and Aqualung, seeing that the 2 dive shops in my area carry these. One of those shops also carries Atomic and Zeagle. Between those 4 brands I don't think I can go wrong with any of them looking at what each brand has to offer in my budget (mid to upper-mid price range). It is really coming down to which shop I feel more comfortable with and that has me leaning towards Aqualung. That particular shop owner was actually pushing the Aqualung Core over the more expensive Legend that I was originally looking at because of the type of diving I was planning on doing and the fact that at that price point, the quality was hard to beat (less than $500). I would suggest talking with as many people locally because whatever you end up with, especially as a new diver, you will need to trust and depend on a shop to service your gear. And don't feel like you need to buy everything at once. I am waiting on purchasing my BC because I can rent one and that will give me a chance to figure out what I like and don't like. The regulator though is my life support. And don't forget that adding an onto and gauge will add another $300+ to the reg. Good luck in your search. I was overwhelmed with all the options out there at first. Figure out your budget and go from there. All the big names make good quality gear.

Fins-$99, Booties-$50, Spare parts kit-$29, Mask clean+Antifog-$15, gloves-$25, Cheap mesh bag-$15, mask w/GoPro attachment-$80, 10lb weights-$35, Suunto Zoop Novo-$330, NUAI OW Certification-$350, NUAI Nitrox Certification-$155, cost of hotel in Pompano Beach FL-$145, I probably even missed a few things.
Diving is an expensive hobby. It looks like you are pretty price sensitive, so I'd suggest buying your BCD and regulator used. Look for lightly used items (probably by someone who tried them, then decided against them) at steep discounts on Craig's list and eBay. Plan on the cost of having them serviced prior to use, though.

@Brian Robinson - what is your estimated remaining budget for BC and reg? How about we start there? For BC, do you want something lightweight for travel, or something that will work for travel and local conditions? (What are those conditions?) Do you know if you want a jacket, back inflate, backplate and wing, or...?

Following this thread as I am in the same process. I am just now finishing up my OW certification and looking at buying my first regulator set. I personally have narrowed it down to 2 brands, ScubaPro and Aqualung, seeing that the 2 dive shops in my area carry these. One of those shops also carries Atomic and Zeagle. Between those 4 brands I don't think I can go wrong with any of them looking at what each brand has to offer in my budget (mid to upper-mid price range). It is really coming down to which shop I feel more comfortable with and that has me leaning towards Aqualung. That particular shop owner was actually pushing the Aqualung Core over the more expensive Legend that I was originally looking at because of the type of diving I was planning on doing and the fact that at that price point, the quality was hard to beat (less than $500). I would suggest talking with as many people locally because whatever you end up with, especially as a new diver, you will need to trust and depend on a shop to service your gear. And don't feel like you need to buy everything at once. I am waiting on purchasing my BC because I can rent one and that will give me a chance to figure out what I like and don't like. The regulator though is my life support. And don't forget that adding an onto and gauge will add another $300+ to the reg. Good luck in your search. I was overwhelmed with all the options out there at first. Figure out your budget and go from there. All the big names make good quality gear.

This applies to the OP as well but it is good to consider (as you have) serviceability where you live and plan to dive.

If you decide to go with Scubapro and are interested in their parts for life program, you will need to buy a BC, reg, octo, and computer within a year of each other. The part kits add up. I wasn't interested in a ScubaPro dive computer, just the BC and regs. My local shops carry both and it's easy to find places that also do while traveling so serviceability wasn't an issue. I went with Aqua Lung and have the Legend LX. It's great. I don't think you could go wrong with the Core or any ScubaPro for that matter. Had I gone ScubaPro, I would've wanted the MK17 (diaphragm instead of piston). Another factor was they did not have the second stage I wanted with the MK17 in the United States. I had to a la carte it....So the decision was easy for me. I wanted diaphragm and I got an awesome price on the LX with parts for life without having to buy a computer I didn't want.

It sounds like you've given it a lot of thought in all the right ways. Go with what feels right and with the LDS that you trust the most.

1. Johnson Baby lotion is a lot cheaper than Antifog!
2. Mares Puck Pro($170.00 at LP) is also a lot cheaper than Zoop Novo. You can buy a 2nd Mares with the saving.

If you want a no frill BP/W bc($299.00) then you should look no further than DGX.

Just liked the pockets on the Seahawk better. At the time I bought my Seahawk the pockets were larger and easy to open and close. Not sure if that is still the same compared to the Knighthawk.

1. Johnson Baby lotion is a lot cheaper than Antifog!
2. Mares Puck Pro($170.00 at LP) is also a lot cheaper than Zoop Novo. You can buy a 2nd Mares with the saving.

If you want a no frill BP/W bc($299.00) then you should look no further than DGX.

I don't know about the OP but the J&J smell makes me feel barfy when I smell it on my mask right before I put it on and take it off on a really rocking boat. To each their own. I also really like the anti-fog I use because it lasts for multiple dives - I don't get the same result with J&J. BUT, if it works and the OP doesn't mind, you are right, it is a lot cheaper. I just wish I could get away with it.

As for the Mares Puck Pro, very good value. The only caveat is that it comes with one button control so that might drive folks crazy. I would love to also try a BP/W some day. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom