I finally got some open water time with my new toy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sledge

Registered
Reaction score
Great googly moogly it's a night and day difference between this and my old Pro XLT jacket. It's so much easier maintaining buoyancy and trim with the DSS rig. And Tobin, of course, was right and I love the hog setup. I'm still tweaking it as I think I have the straps too tight as I have difficulty getting out of it.

Overall chalk up one more satisfied customer :)

Minor question: for cold water diving, I know you recommend not moving all your weight to the BP/W. How much weight can I safely move to the BP? I have 12 lbs in my DUI weight harness. I'd like to move 8 to weight plates on the BP and put 4 in small dumpable pockets on the hog's webbing and get rid of the DUI harness altogether. Is this a good idea?

Great googly moogly it's a night and day difference between this and my old Pro XLT jacket. It's so much easier maintaining buoyancy and trim with the DSS rig. And Tobin, of course, was right and I love the hog setup. I'm still tweaking it as I think I have the straps too tight as I have difficulty getting out of it.[/QUOTE]

Adjusting and tweaking a Hogarthian Harness can take a few dives, but it's well worth the effort.

Minor question: for cold water diving, I know you recommend not moving all your weight to the BP/W. How much weight can I safely move to the BP? I have 12 lbs in my DUI weight harness. I'd like to move 8 to weight plates on the BP and put 4 in small dumpable pockets on the hog's webbing and get rid of the DUI harness altogether. Is this a good idea?

I would not recommend placing 100% of your ballast on your rig. This can make your rig very heavy to move on the surface, might require a larger wing. Remember your wing needs to be able to float your gear at the surface without you in it. If you have ballast on a belt or weight harness the wing does not need to float that portion when you ditch the gear. You may also want the space on your waist belt for a can light.

I'd need more information (tank used, wing size) to be sure, but you might consider using the bolt on weight plates and about 4 lbs in a belt.

Tobin

:wave-smil

I'd like to move 8 to weight plates on the BP and put 4 in small dumpable pockets on the hog's webbing and get rid of the DUI harness altogether. Is this a good idea?

I was going to go that route as well, but it seemed like I was turning my hog rig into a weight integrated BC - which was what I was trying to get away from.... I got the XS Scuba weight belt and wear from 4 - 15#s in it depending on conditions. You barely notice it. Just don't forget to put it on before jumping in.:)

I also have the weight plates for cold water...much better than having all that weight on a belt.:coffee:

I'd need more information (tank used, wing size) to be sure, but you might consider using the bolt on weight plates and about 4 lbs in a belt.

Tobin

If I get the 8 lbs plates then that would overweight the 26 lbs torus wing (rig would be 26.5 negative at that point). I'd have to get a larger wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom