i got a boat, now who wants to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deputydan1

Contributor
Reaction score
hey gang,

it's been a while since i've been on the boards...been really busy w/ work, family, new baby!, etc...

nevertheless, i have a 26' cruiser that i've been wanting to go dive from. i've been to catalina a few times already....just to go cruise...but now i want to dive!

is there anybody here who can help me rig the boat for diving? help me find the hot spots, etc? i can provide the boat, you can provide the know-how at catalina. i've only dove at catalina twice...but each time was so fun.

i'm padi aow, about 70 dives.

thanks and take care,

-dan

well you def want to add dive racks, a compressor, dive ladder, maybe a current line, dive flag, franko's map is a good map of all the dive spots although it doesn't give the gps coordinates...umm thats all i can think of though but when you go out there make sure you tell us! ohh and a DM would be a good idea

I think he means that its his own private boat, for personal use..... Not for commercial use.... So a compressor & DM might be a bit much.. lol

But for diving, get a good sturdy ladder that can support a diver and the weight of his tanks, etc... A current line with a float on the end is always good. Tanks racks if you have the room.. An O2 kit is a VERY good idea.. Maps, GPS, depth/fish finder..... A dive flag.... Weighted lines if you plan to use stages bottles....

man, i love this board and the so cal members...

yes....you are right, missy.

it's my own boat...but i just want to have it prepped for some diving. i have the sounder/fish finder/radar/gps already; i have some space reserved for the tanks. the swim platform ladder seems quite sturdy...hopefully...

am i missing anything else? the O2 is a great idea, as well as the float lines....

thanks!

-dan

deputydan1:
am i missing anything else?

thanks!

-dan

A cooler full of cold beverages and a portable grill for after diving :D :D

lol! got that covered already, missy!
cold drinks, bbq, FOOD, hot water tank for the warm showers after the dive....ahhhhh..

-dan

You'll have to experiment and see what works best for you and your boat. If your boat is trailerable and has the standard 8'6" beam, exiting the water with gear on probably will be a little tough. At the end of the dive I take my gear off in the water and pass it up the side to whomever is on deck. I then climb the ladder on the swimstep. You really don't want to be unstable with a lot of heavy gear on near the sharp props of I/O's or OBs. For entries, on my boat I prefer to backroll over the side with gear on. Some of my friends prefer to backroll without gear and don the rig in the water.

Now, for additional equipment, besides what's been mentioned, I'm assuming you already have a VHF (and backup battery operated unit?) If your fixed VHF doesn't have a hailer built in, and you don't want to upgrade, I'd recommend a megaphone.

Edit: And a windlass to keep your first mate happy :)

There are some good books out there with #'s for popular reefs/wrecks, including:

Boating & Diving Catalina Island - http://www.amazon.com/Boating-Divin...6624447?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188428463&sr=8-1

Jeff Spira's book - http://www.spirainternational.com/books/

YMMV

Have fun, and be safe!
(btw I do bring the hot water tank for post dive warm up shower :D )

lol sorry my bad would have been pretty sweet though if you could somehow fit a compressor on there but yep i could see you wouldn't need it if its just for personal use lol well good luck with that

Well, I haven't done much diving in California waters, but I am a good cook and good company. So if you need a diving buddy/cook to join you anytime let me know, I will come complete with the food, just let me know what flavors you feel like!!!

I've dove Catalina a few times & have done a lot of shore diving & know places you can dive off a boat on the mainland that are good. And I'm a good cook also.

John

Back
Top Bottom