I got to do SCIENCE at a AquarenaS Dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-=>Larry<=-

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I think there's hope!

For those of you that maybe haven't tracked messages from BillP & I & a few others -- I thoroughly enjoy and try hard to keep regular on volunteering to do "Scientific Diver" dives at Aquarena Springs - - but we come back reporting about cleaning windows on the submarine theater and other such tasks that really utilize my advanced degree, etc.....

Not on this report! :D - Yesterday, on a sneak afternoon dive - I got to help one of the scientists with the Edwards Aquifer Authority collect dye sampling stations and water samples. - Not all that techy - They hauled me around to 5 different springs [the glass bottom boats make a GREAT DPV!] - I go down, take a sample and retrieve their dye detector, which looks supiciously like a 10 lb concrete weight, with 2 teabags hanging off of it. [The teabags are actually carbon filters that adsorb the stuff] - Then take the station back down after she changed out the teabags. Stephanie, the EAA scientist - left me a map from their paper on the sampling program, which showed the major aquifer pathways and how fast the dye was transported through them!

The springs are still at the nominal 68 degrees but the vis is WAY down to ~40 feet due to a diatom bloom that's going on right now. As is my approved habit - I collected a couple of mesh bags of hydrilla for our compost on the way out. This was enough for the day as my sinus' were reminding me that this is abuse! - like DM'ing a OW class due to the 14 ascent/descent pairs I did for the dive entotal.

Great Fun!
Cheers

Finally!...a report about more than housekeeping in the spring! Glad you got to use your extensive training and skills! :D

Is that powerbrush anything like those water powered brushes you wash the car with? :eek:ut:

I want to talk to you about the details of taking the scientific course before next winter. Beast and I have decided we can't/won't make do with nothing but cold water another year!

Originally posted by Dee
Is that powerbrush anything like those water powered brushes you wash the car with? :eek:ut:

You got it - BUT - This one is 2X as big and powered by one of those compressors - markedly more power involved, it might even be able to get my truck clean!!!!

I want to talk to you about the details of taking the scientific course before next winter. Beast and I have decided we can't/won't make do with nothing but cold water another year!

Good plan - There is info on their website - and I'll be glad to point you to it at any time. In theory the classes are every other week. In practice, they exist when there are enough students to justify it, I think this is once a month to 6 weeks.
I may change my personal definition of cold water, the new 5mm was almost too warm in Aquarena - I'll be DM'ing a class at Travis next weekend and we'll see.
Still securely a CAD for now!

Cheers

Wow i didn't know they had a power brush. No more scrubin the old fashion way any more for me.

By the way I'm Larry's son, Hello everybody.

Larry,
Have been wondering, once you get checked out at Aquarena Springs, how often can you expect to be able to dive there? Is it as often as you can get down there? I realize it has to be connected to things they need done, but if you are looking at once or twice a year that makes it very limited.
Have been thinking about taking the scientific course ever since I took my open water there last year.
Phantom

- or more so - your schedule.

Last year I only got in 6 dives there - but I felt limited to weekends - and they insist that you bring a qualified buddy & that you avoid events taht they hold - both of which limit slightly when you can get in.

This year - my Thursday has turned out REALLY open - so I''ve been able to get there every other week or so. Being able to dive during the regular workday has opened up being able to dive with the staff either as buddies or as surface tenders and so I've only had one cancel this year to my plan of every other week
:) [Total of 5 dives to-date - THIS YEAR!]

Then there's the factor of the dive coordinator. Bridget has been fantastic and will work with you very well. Her two predecessors weren't nearly as helpful fro reasons I don't need to go into.

So - C'mon in! The water's fine.

Back
Top Bottom