I have Asthma and I want to Scuba dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You always have to realize that doctors are EXTREMELY risk averse. Nobody wants to give you an offhand clearance to dive, and then have you get a gas embolism and be injured or dead, because then it would be their fault for having cleared you.

An evaluation for fitness to dive in an asthmatic would involve at the very least pulmonary function testing (where you breathe into a machine, and it records flow rates and pressures and volumes) to see if there is evidence of obstruction. That's the big risk with asthma, that air can get in but can't get out, and then you embolize.

From your history, I think there is a reasonable likelihood that you will pass PFTs. But they should be done, and no physician is going to give you clearance until they have been.

well I did get a pulmonary test, and for what its worth, here is a picture of the test results.

b9dbte.jpg

If you have medical clearance from your allergist, why not try some confined water dives and see how you do? There isn't much harm in giving it a shot from 7 feet under.
Fatalities can and have happened in swimming pools from breath holding while surfacing. Since an Asthma attack could (emphasize) could have the same affect I would not want the OP to believe this is a risk free activity. 2-4 feet is all that is necessary to cause harm to the lungs if breath is held or obstructed as might be the case in an asthma attack.

The average lung as a volume of 5.5 litters. A full breath taken at 9 feet of depth in a swimming pool will expand to 7 liters at the surface. If an obstructed airway or restricted airway hampers the venting of this increase in pressure the results could be adverse.

To the OP. As you have stated this thread has gotten off topic. You have receive some excellent advice along the way and you have followed it and gotten tested. It sounds to this lay person (a doctor will have to interpret them) like the results are something you can be happy with. I applaud you for investigating and seeking more information and then getting the testing done. All who argued for caution did so with your health and best interest in mind.

purbeast, those are really good PFTs, and assuming those were done off medication, I can't imagine anyone having a problem clearing you to dive, unless you have exercise-induced symptoms.

TSandM I took advair that morning before I went (i usually take it in the AM before work if I remember) but I didn't use a fast acting inhaler or anything. i also lift weights 4x a week and cardio 3x, and then have football starting up very soon too, so yea i'm very active in general. i try to do it extra because i know it's good for my asthma.

Seems like there is tons of responses to this post...

I would add this much if this hasn't been put somewhere near the top of your list. You know your abilities, what you can endure and what you can't. When you begin a new sport/try something new there are new challenges/ obstacles more-so with Asthma thrown into it. Anything that is a BREATH-STEALER is a potential problem.

So from start to finish in scuba there are potential triggers depending on your adaption/coping abilities.
NO doctor can tell you how you will do-
They can advise you on 'your specific health' on what would be best.. but shouldn't you know
your health?.... Get yourself cleared ultimately thru your doctor however but..
I'm wondering if you ever went thru the allergist and/or respiratory therapist tests? There are many, not just the PFT I seen mentioned above.
Gas diffusion tests and lung function tests, here is a link webmd has a bunch of them you can look over-
Lung Function Tests

Google Asthma/divers... find forums or chats or something where people who have asthma and dive so you can exchange talks/convos.
No two people experience a disease the same way...
Gather collective thoughts, put them with your thoughts--- add them to your doctors thoughts.. and decide..

Over all it is your decision and confidence that will make it ok...
TAKE your time, don't ever let anyone make you feel rushed in any step of diving, if diving
is the choice you make--
good luck!... :)

I would rather be a live golfer than a dead diver.

All I am saying is that, even though I have been diving for 26 years and my life revolves around scuba, I would box it all up for one more day with my girls.

Jeff

As long as there are lawyers standing around waiting to sue when someone dies from a "scuba accident" that is really a health related accident that just happened to have occurred underwater (I foresee more heart attacks and out of shape/unhealthy accident related health incidents occurring as the age of divers increase) I personally am not willing to teach someone to dive with asthma, epilepsy, etc. even if they manage to get a doctor to sign off on their medical. I wouldn't want my family member to take the risk so I don't want to be involved with a stranger choosing to take the risk - I love diving but...

Back
Top Bottom