I invested in my first set of gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brett down under

Registered
Reaction score
After a couple months of reading this forum and watching You Tube gear review videos I purchased my first set of gear, which will hopefully last me a while. I plan to remain a recreational diver (cold water, wreck dives mainly) but wanted the flexibility for travel and to change it up in the future if needed.

XDEEP: ZEN BP&W, CX100, LS100, MASK, FINS
WATERPROOF: W8 7M WETSUIT, HOOD, GLOVES, BOOTS, GEARBAG
SHARKSKIN: T2 CHILLPROOF UNDERGARMENT

The other thing I'm looking at is side slinging a pony bottle as I dive with lots of different people each time and never know how reliable my buddy will be each time, so being more self-reliant can only be a good thing.

Any feedback or critiques welcome - perhaps hold your fire on the AWU Oceanic+ Dive Computer ;-)

Thanks for all the advice people share on this forum, it's a great resource for beginners.

Attachments

• IMG_7034.jpeg
    IMG_7034.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0942.jpeg
    IMG_0942.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 136
Cold water, wrecks, call for a (possibly compact) twin tank, which means no need for a pony.
Depending on your SAC, you could be happy with a 7+7 liters at 300 bars (but I am not sure you have them in Australia), or a 9+9 liters at 200 or 232 bars (which is what I was using many years ago, before switching to more recreational diving in warm water only).
Of course you should get two identical complete regs (two first stages, two second stages).
I never used undergarment with a wet suit, I am not sure how much this can be effective against cold water. A dry suit is usually the solution...

Depending on your SAC, you could be happy with a 7+7 liters at 300 bars (but I am not sure you have them in Australia)

Certainly do. Faber steels are everywhere here. 12.2L 232bar singles and twins are everywhere, and the 7L twins are also very popular in both 232 and 300 varieties. I have 300s.

Cold water, wrecks, call for a (possibly compact) twin tank, which means no need for a pony.
Depending on your SAC, you could be happy with a 7+7 liters at 300 bars (but I am not sure you have them in Australia), or a 9+9 liters at 200 or 232 bars (which is what I was using many years ago, before switching to more recreational diving in warm water only).
Of course you should get two identical complete regs (two first stages, two second stages).
I never used undergarment with a wet suit, I am not sure how much this can be effective against cold water. A dry suit is usually the solution...
That was the other option I was considering too. Thought a pony might be an easier step to begin with rather than twins. Lots of people dive steel twin 12s 232/300 here, probably the most common alternative set up to a single. What’s the best way to learn moving to twins?

Yeah I need to fork out for another cx100 first stage, they don’t seem that common and only sold as a set - rather annoying.

Undergarment works well for me - toasty warm yesterday in 15 deg c. Second dives can get cold in 12 deg, but otherwise it works well. They say sharkskin adds another 5mm, maybe more like 3mm.
Thanks for the advice!

That was the other option I was considering too. Thought a pony might be an easier step to begin with rather than twins. Lots of people dive steel twin 12s 232/300 here, probably the most common alternative set up to a single. What’s the best way to learn moving to twins?

Yeah I need to fork out for another cx100 first stage, they don’t seem that common and only sold as a set - rather annoying.

Undergarment works well for me - toasty warm yesterday in 15 deg c. Second dives can get cold in 12 deg, but otherwise it works well. They say sharkskin adds another 5mm, maybe more like 3mm.
Thanks for the advice!
I started diving with compact twins(not 12l+12l), and moved to single later.
I find twins easier, more balanced and more streamlined than a single of comparable capacity, so in my opinion, if they are small enough (max 9+9 liters), there is really nothing to learn.
Instead a pony tank can be more troublesome.
I used it either attached in the middle of the twin tanks, or slung on my side when using a single back tank. In both cases it disrupts balance and adds drag, and is a risk of entanglement in a wreck.
So, despite I had to use a pony tank for some extreme dives, I do not recommend it for recreational diving. A reasonably sized twin tank is much easier!

So if you've got Faber twin 55s 7 liter tanks at 232 bar and 300bar what's the difference

So if you've got Faber twin 55s 7 liter tanks at 232 bar and 300bar what's the difference

Twin 7s at 232bar is 3248L of gas. Twin 7s at 300bar is 4200L of gas. So the 300's give you an extra 30% gas.

The 300s are also somewhat heavier than the 232s, so some argue that instead of running twin 7L 300s you may as well just run twin 12L 232s. But with my 7L 300's and a steel backplate I don't need to carry any extra weight so it works well for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom