I just found my diveknife... sorta, HomeDepot diving supplies? Malco Duct Knive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderWaterFlyerGuy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was shopping for a skinny knife for dispatching fish, and I didn't want to spend much.
I found a reference to this Malco Duct Knife at Home Depot. $13
I'm gonna give it a whirl.
dk6s-big.jpg

Malco Duct Knife with Serrated Edge - DK6STS at The Home Depot

As a commercial diver in the past I have purchased many non-diving knives for U/W use... Probably for the same reason as you... Dive knives can be expensive. Some work well for the money, most dont live up to the task. Its not been the blade that usually fails but the components they are put together with. Often not made with the same corrosion resistant materials like the inner shaft inside the handle... Dissimiliar metals in contact corrode badly in salt water. One becomes the sacrificial anode, like zincs on a boat. I'd be interested to know how this knife is doing after several dives. I use to carry a steak knife in a rubber hose shealth with a old spring style phone cord for a lanyard :) It served its purpose, solid stainless with wood handle.

Oh.. yeah.. I missed the not stainless part...
This thing might rust to oblivion really soon...

Edit: Hooray... I just found out this thing is stainless..!
I'll probably get it from the nearby Home Depot in a couple of days.

Maybe I can make my own salt water to test with?
I work in a Lab: I can test is with Sulfuric and Hydrochloric Acid too! <just kidding
I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
Keep us posted after a few dives. Sometimes it's more cost effective to buy a new $13.00 knife every couple of years than to pay $100+ for a true dive knife, especially if you factor in the dropped/lost factor. A $100 knife can get lost just as easily as a $13.00 knife. Good luck.

EDIT: Oooops, just saw your "not stainless" post (simul-posting) Looks like this will have an unhappy ending.

Keep us posted after a few dives. Sometimes it's more cost effective to buy a new $13.00 knife every couple of years than to pay $100+ for a true dive knife, especially if you factor in the dropped/lost factor. A $100 knife can get lost just as easily as a $13.00 knife. Good luck.

EDIT: Oooops, just saw your "not stainless" post (simul-posting) Looks like this will have an unhappy ending.

Right,---dropped lost/factor--- you want a good knife go dive at a poular dive site after a group of new students have left... I have found 3 ocean master titanium dive knives in the last year. I usually give them to students who loose theirs after a dive since the ones I find are never claimed and owners are hard to find.

Edit: Hooray... I just found out this thing is stainless..!
I'll probably get it from the nearby Home Depot in a couple of days.

Maybe I can make my own salt water to test with?
I work in a Lab: I can test is with Sulfuric and Hydrochloric Acid too! <just kidding
I'll keep you posted.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MALCO-Duct-Knife-1ELJ7

I will be watching for updates.

I got one of these today. Home Depot ~$13 (see pics and link in earlier post)

The blade is hardened stainless steel.
5 1/2" long blade, 1 1/16" high, 3/32" thick, serrated on on side, smooth sharp edge on the other, sharpened all the way to the stiletto point.

Handle is rubber (black) and plastic (red), 5 1/4" long, 1 3/8" wide, 1" thick with a metal hard shank (hammer end)

With very firm pressure the blade flexes 1/4".

The sheath is mediocre for diving. Heavy canvas with velcro closure.

I got curious about this knife because I didn't want to spend the money on an expensive dive knife that I'd probably lose, and I was reading that some of the cheaper dive knives like this style could bend or break.
This blade is ridgid enought that I won't worry about bending, and it has a little flexibility, so I don't think I'll be worrying about breaking.

At a cost of $13, I won't cry much if I lose it...

Looks like a deal. I will see if our Home Depot carries it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom