I just saw a speared GSB from Catalina on Instagram

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Digital Smiles on Instagram: “While fishing in Catalina our Long Beach patient, Richard, broke a tooth. Unlike sharks he didn’t have a second row waiting to take its…”
46272546_295130564444754_7296538314151603088_n.jpg

First thing. I wanted them to see it before the dentist office takes it down.

"How do you know it was speared? Could have been caught hook and line then gaffed. It looks like it may have been speared, but the post just says fishing."

I dont think that was the point.

"How do you know it was speared? Could have been caught hook and line then gaffed. It looks like it may have been speared, but the post just says fishing."

I dont think that was the point.
Yes, it was part of the post. "A diver speared a protected species", but if it wasn't, then it incorrectly casts divers in a bad light. I don't want this guy representing divers.

He may very well have speared it, but I didn't see that info and a poorly executed gaff could cause similar damage. See an example below.
tunagaff1.jpg

I'm not suggesting Max has any ill intent and I could certainly see why Max would suggest it. However, remember when VP candidate/Senator Tim Kaine pushed for gun control and told all of his followers the knife attack at Ohio State was due to gun violence? I hope the guy is punished, but I also don't want to see knee jerk reactions from law makers punishing others who follow the rules on methods of fishing.

Max, again, to be clear, I'm not suggesting you had any ill intent, and your assumptions may be true. He could have shot the fish twice or shot it and strung it, there's plenty of examples on the web of guys tearing fish up and putting multiple holes in them with a gaff.

Good for you reporting him.

There is a smaller hole above the gills. Why would he gaff it twice? Either way, it's an endangered species and shouldn't have been shot or gaffed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom