I knew the cattle boat would be bad...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what is everyone's definition of a cattle boat?

Mine would be "a boat on which divers are treated like cattle". It can be large or small, but larger boats lend themselves more to this practice.

I was actually considering a trip to Cozumel with my son... Doesn't sound like the place to dive anymore. I dove there 25-30 years ago.. I was not like that.

As others have pointed out, it's not like that now unless you end up with the wrong shop. There are many good shops, each with its ardent proponents. (I'm actually not an ardent proponent of the shop with which I dive, but that's a long story that's not for this thread.)

I'm just back from a week on the island during which we did no diving. We did, however, meet up several times with our divemaster friend and plan our next dive trip. We also spent a day snorkeling at Punta Sur, which my wife has done several times but I've managed never to have done before.

Cozumel is still plenty of fun to dive.

I've only been going to Coz. since '95, but now that you mention it I remember hearing about that. That sucks.

After seeing this thread I did a little searching of reviews again. Came up with a molestation claim that I had forgotten about, and I seem to remember a rape claim. But that would have to do with the individual DM and not the company. But the response to the complaint is all on the company...and their representatives.

I just saw some glowing reviews of the company, along with some that correspond with the OP's experience. I just wonder if most of the glowing reviews were from newbies that didn't know any better, or shills. I've never dove with them and I don't think I ever will.

I have dove with several shops there but I haven't dove with Aldora yet. I'd like to try it if the airfare ever gets to where I can go again. I'd like to split a trip with Aldora and Christie's. I met her at her shop right after she opened the one just down from Chedraui; she had her scooter with the UT Longhorn sticker on it parked out front. Since I'm an A&M grad. she might have some barbs for me...like "You know how to drown an A&M scuba diver? Put a scratch and sniff on the bottom of the pool." :D

Hahaha! Nah - I promise to teat you as I would a sick friend - LOL! Seriously, I am a Longhorn but I have a divided family - so I've learned to live with the maroon blood too :) Would be delighted to have you on board whenever you make it back!

---------- Post added March 30th, 2015 at 08:48 AM ----------

Dear gopbroek,

Yep, that was the pier I built back in 98. But technically they took over my company, Inversiones Cozumel Aldora SA de CV, which owned it, so it is still officially referred to as the "Aldora" pier. Hated to lose it but have survived worse problems.

And we are grateful that you and Fausto built it :) I would much rather make the check out to Aldora each month vs. Inversiones - at least it is still affectionately referrered to as the Aldora pier :)

---------- Post added March 30th, 2015 at 08:53 AM ----------

I was actually considering a trip to Cozumel with my son... Doesn't sound like the place to dive anymore. I dove there 25-30 years ago.. I was not like that.

The OP was diving with a shop out of Cancun which does have an operation here as well - they are a chain op with a revolving door of staff. This is the exception rather than the rule in Cozumel - there are as others have mentioned, plenty of high quality operations on the island - from 6 pack to diving with 20 or 30 of your closest friends. With even a minimal amount of research and prior booking, you can avoid an experience like the one described and even find some of the best DM's and diving in the Caribbean. Don't let ONE bad report of a specific operation keep you from Cozumel - that would be like saying yu're not going to visit California because there is violence and gangs in LA - and that's just silly :D

Don't let ONE bad report of a specific operation keep you from Cozumel

Couldn't agree more Christi - as I mentioned above, I'll be back just as soon as time, opportunity (and cold. hard cash) permit. I'll just do my research a bit more thoroughly next time.

Seriously, Blue XTSea or Aldora will give you an experience that's the polar opposite of "cattle boat."

Back
Top Bottom