I know. I know. I should know this already but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decapoddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
... I really like diving in MA and never felt the need to go explore other places. I keep hearing about the great diving in Maine and all the huge lobsters you can see but not take. I do underwater video and would love to see some of these guys and gals. I'm hoping someone can give me info i.e. best time of year, best places, entry/exit points. If someone would be willing to accompany me, even better. I promise you'll end up on tape and get a copy. Heck, you might even end up on TV (well, public access at least:D) Thanks in advance.

Scott

I just watched a show about lobsters on the discovery channel and they saw some enormous lobster up in the Gulf of Maine.

I don't know where to find them, but I would love to go along with you! I'll go pretty much any time of year...as soon as my gear comes back from the shop!

I know it's a cliche Maine site for us lower new englanders, but it is a nice one. Several people that I've been with there have reported seeing 15-20 pounders or so. I only did a night dive there, but it is a very pretty dive, very rich on marine life and lobsters. I'd love to dive up there again, but unless it suddenly gets very warm, that'll have to wait until spring. Still diving wet, I'm afraid.

I saw that show on Discovery channel as well. Very interesting. That lobster was enormous!!! Definately not something you'd want to wear on your head on a regular basis. :)

-Roman.

Nubble Light is the place to go in lower Maine. Looking in my log I see that I have dove there 87 times in the last 3 years, so I guess I like the place. But anyway, there are large lobsters and other sea life to see at Nubble, though they tend to be out a bit deeper. ( 65 – to 80 fsw ). I tend to dive more towards the deeper areas and have seen many forms of marine life. ( Things just seem to get bigger as you go deeper ).
Nubble is a great dive sight , because there is plenty of parking ( except week ends in summer ). It is all slabs of rock at the entry point, so it’s a clean sight ( no sand in your gear ). It is also a great place for night dives as well. This time of year if the weather is good, the visibility is usually good as well. I see from your photo that you dive dry, so there is really no time of year that you can’t dive there. It’s worth the drive to dive there, even if you end up seeing nothing, you will not be disappointed in the dive.

I've convinced a buddy to go with me as my "subject" for the video so now we're just figurung out a date. Anyone know where I could find an overlay of the site i.e. "Go straight out 50 yd's and take a heading of 200°"? Or a map? Thanks!

Scott

on Dive New England but any personal experiences would be great!

From the entry point head directly across the small channel out to the island. Submerge nearby. Keeping the wall to your right, go around the island clockwise. The shore-side of the island isn't too deep, but on the far side it should get reasonably deep for a shore dive (i.e. below 60). Take lots of video of big bugs there, turn around, keep the wall on your left, head back. Navigation there is extremely simple. I've only ever dove the wall, but some people go out in the open area to the left of the island/wall. Don't know what that area is like. Arduous? 87 dives, you should know the place by heart. :wink:

Yes I do know the sight fairly well, however I dive mostly the deeper side. As notabob stated there is a wall right across from the entry point. If you head out 90 degrees from the entry point you hit the wall. Take a left at the wall and go straight keeping the wall on your right. When you reach your targeted depth or time limits, just turn around keep the wall on your left and fin back to a familiar place on the wall. Then take a heading of 270 degrees and that will bring you to your exit point.

The left side of the entry point as mentioned by notabob is a very very nice dive with lots to see. There are huge boulders and large crevasses to fin through. As well as an array of sea life that live in the shallows. This area can however be hazardous diving at times. The cast fishermen all cast off of this side of the point. Most will pay no attention to dive flags. Some, I’m sure don’t even know what the flag means. If there are fishermen casting off the rocks, it’s best to stay away from the north west side of the dive sight. However there may be no fishermen there when you start your dive and they may come after you have submerged. Also the lobster fishermen will pay no attention to your dive flag. They will ride right up next to a flag and haul up a trap or dump one over board, with no regard for anyone below. At Nubble it’s safest to surface closest to the exit point as possible…………… Arduous

I'm ready to go armed with all this knowledge. I'll let you know how it goes.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom