I like guns.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't own a gun but I'm sure if I lived in the US that I would buy a pistol and take up target shooting for a hobby. I grew up around hunters and when I was younger we used to go shooting in the forest with hunting rifles and I really enjoyed that. Some of my best memories are of shooting rifles with my grandfather. He was a ex-soldier and taught most of the youngsters how to shoot.

Both of my parents were pretty good shots too and it was something all of us liked to do. My father had some kind of semi-automatic 30-06 (might have been a Remington) but I don't hunt so I think I'd go for indoor shooting with pistols if were to pick it up as a hobby at this point in my life.

I don't really know much about guns but if I had to choose I'd probably buy a Beretta 92FS just because of the design. It just looks like you think a pistol should look.

R..

Your father's rifle was probably a Remington 742 Woodsmaster, one of the finest semi-auto hunting rifles ever made. I owned one years ago, when I did more hunting than the occasional pheasant shooting I do these days. I traded it for a mint Walther P38, BYF 41.

Here in the states there are so many choices in hand guns that it can be difficult to settle on one. The Beretta is an excellent choice, and is the standard military sidearm for all NATO forces.

I know from having been there that there are a surprising number of unregistered WW2 weapons in private hands in Europe, things easily acquired during the war as battles passed over an area. I wonder if this is considered a serious police issue in the Netherlands. I suppose that as the older relatives who picked these things up die, the younger generation turns in these weapons.

My father has a bunch of knives, daggers and bayonets from ww2.brutal looking weapons. His father brought them home after ww2.

Your father's rifle was probably a Remington 742 Woodsmaster, one of the finest semi-auto hunting rifles ever made. I owned one years ago, when I did more hunting than the occasional pheasant shooting I do these days. I traded it for a mint Walther P38, BYF 41.

Googled that and it looks like the one, yeah.

I know from having been there that there are a surprising number of unregistered WW2 weapons in private hands in Europe, things easily acquired during the war as battles passed over an area. I wonder if this is considered a serious police issue in the Netherlands. I suppose that as the older relatives who picked these things up die, the younger generation turns in these weapons.

I think it depends on the country you live in. In the Netherlands owning an unregistered firearm could land you in jail for 4 years or get you a fine of up to 45,000 Euros.

It *is* possible to get a permit to legally own a firearm for sport purposes but I don't think getting such a permit would be very straightforward. You also need to be an active member of a shooting club and the permit has to be extended every year. That's about all I know about it. Being a foreigner I don't even know if I would be eligible to get a permit but that's just speculation on my part.

As for the threat of firearms for the police. I think you can probably count the number of actual gun fights the police get into in a year on 1 hand. Most of the serious crimes that are committed with guns here involve criminals killing each other, and as far as I know not shooting at the police or anyone else. There are exceptions but it's generally big news when it happens.

R..

Heh, try and deny an immigrant anything I the states is racist but it is cool in other countries. Fun.

Yes...

---------- Post added October 5th, 2013 at 04:28 PM ----------

Swift keyboard just updated it's autocorrect. When I try to Michael I have to make sure I selected the it, otherwise it types Michelle and the next word it predicts I will type is Obama. It is nice, it even capitalizes the names. I have never, in my life combined the words Michelle and Obama together.

---------- Post added October 5th, 2013 at 04:30 PM ----------

I blame agilis.

They have no teeth. They tend to get in the way...

Oklahoma machine gun shoot.

My son currently has my Smith & Wesson 629 (.44 Mag) so I have to show a interweb picture. Love this revolver!!!

[img300]http://truthaboutguns.zippykid.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Smith-Wesson-629-courtesy-drundel.com_.jpg[/img300]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom