I like guns.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still have my dad's(and his dad's) 1895 Winchester in 30:40. Last night as I was inventorying ammo I realized I have zero ammo left in the calibre, so I will have to search some out.

Good shooting rifle that I often used in my youth for whitetails. I inherited it when my dad passed, but failed to get the ammo. I will remedy that, when I find some.

Rifle singly responsible for more deer on the table than any other firearm in history.

I've got a nice octogon barrelled model 1894 manufactured in 1899. Chose it in the 30-30 caliber to specifically avoid the ammo issue. I still can't believe how accurate it is. Lot of fun to shoot a lever action gun. Out here we have some lever action specific events at one of the local ranges, but have never made it to one yet.

My Winchester is the '95 (first image), which is not as well known as the very popular '94 (second pic). The '94 made a great saddle gun, and short brush gun that was usually chambered in lighter rounds like the 30/30, while the '95 was a bit heavier built weapon that could be chambered for larger calibers.

My '95 looks pretty much like the center one in this image, but well used, as it was a saddle gun in cattle country for a long time.

Attachments

• 1895 Winchester.jpg
    1895 Winchester.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Winchester_Model_1894.jpg
    Winchester_Model_1894.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 52
This evening I ran across a sweet little Winchester pump shotgun in 410 in a small gun shop. A Mod '97, and while I really liked it, the asking price was way out of my comfort zone for a novelty I probably would not shoot much.

The 95, was Teddy Rosevelt's favorite gun, he called it the best rifle he had ever owned. In his time the aristocratic men of his time collected find English double shotguns, but Teddy being a true American with the means to own anything he desired, preferred winchesters. As I recall the box magazine design was specifically created to be able to use pointed ammo as it avoided the magazine tube design of butt to tail.

I really like the .327, it is really quite versatile. Had my daughter who is very recoil shy as she is a new shooter shooting .32 s/w through it . (my learin' her earlier in life didn't take, she was much more interested in Barbie dolls at the time, now that I have turned her fiancé into a gun lover she is interested in shooting, hey take it when you can get it) Mine is a ruger SP101, posted a pic in this thread earlier.

Yes she is sitting, bad form for a pistol, she did much better when standing. And yes she has earplugs in, no shooting without ears and eyes.
IMG_8119_zps8cbb25c7.jpg

IMG_8116_zps48effd37.jpg

This is her with the .204 Ruger
IMG_8112_zps6c4dc89d.jpg

Nice that you can shoot any .32 pistol round in one gun. Now if I could convince someone to make an affordable lever action in .327 that would be something I would snatch up right away. I know you can get an older rebarreled and rechambered but that is not a cheap proposition and I would feel bad about changing a classic.

The .327 mag is very close numberwise and ballistically to the .357 which is impressive in itself. I carry it on occasion when I want to be different.

It was one of those firearms that was produced as it's caliber usefulness evaporated before it could be released.

It was a viable solution to a problem that was resolved in a more convincing and marketable manner.

It offered an increased 6 Round capacity over the standard .357 5 shot revolver format. It had the unfortunate luck of being introduced at the height of the initial Glock-shock... the wave of buying excitement over the new concept of a high capacity, polymer frame wunder-gun... that swamped everything else being advertised.

The ballistics: 327 Magnum Ballistics Chart | Ballistics 101

These S&W Model 632's had such short barrels, and much like the vaunted .357 magnum, there was a lot of blast and unused fire wasted out of the pointy end. The load in question is correctly known as a .327 FM (Federal Magnum). It is also in the category of "Super Magnum", having supplanted the .32 H&R Magnum.

It has great ballistics, but unfortunately the cartridges are not available except for specialty houses and at a price. There are many good calibers out there that never had a ghost's chance of catching on, ie the 10mm (aka the .40SW Magnum). Other literal flash-in-the-pan loads included the .45GAP (an homage to hubris) and one that is still hanging on for dear life, the .357 SiG. Not casting aspersions on usefulness, just the poor showing in market viability... for whatever reason.

In preparing for the coming Zombie Apocalypse (ZX)
We are all well advised to seek "commonality" and availability. Much as the US Dollar is the (current) universal worldwide trade currency, in the future it may well likely be 9mm or .22LR in terms of a spot price or futures market.

If you're toting a .327 Federal Magnum, you better make every bullet count. Not in stock at MallWart.

Someday ...

DanielFraser600NE1.jpg

DanielFraser600NE2.jpg

my arms are all working pieces (including some with SN 1 & 2). I can't imagine having invested in something like that to just sit around looking pretty, and can't imagine taking that into the brush......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom