I miss my friend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's amazing what alcohol can do to a person, how a simple drink can take the person you've known and loved all your life, and make them act like someone completely different. Unfortunately alcoholism is extremely hard to kick. Which makes me feel really pathetic as I sit here trying not to cry, when he's got so many more problems than I've ever had. But I have faith in him. Maybe someday I'll have my friend I used to know back.

Please respect alcohol. There's nothing wrong with drinking it, but if you've got a problem with it, do your friends and family (and yourself) a favor and get help.

As the daughter of an alcoholic, all I can say is I'm sorry, and I hope your friend eventually finds the insight he or she needs to find another way to cope with living.

Good luck with your struggle. Be there for your buddy in his. SB will offer what support we can.

I understand exactly what you're going through, believe me. I won't touch alcohol because of what I've seen it do and it won't find it's way into my house.
I only wish society would put half the effort into anti-drunk campaigns as they do for anti-smoking(notice I said anti-drunk and not anti-alchohol). I don't smoke either but, now that smoking is banned in most public places, of the two I see alcohol abuse destroying the lives of far more innocent people than smoking.
Hang in there.

Pathfinder:
I understand exactly what you're going through, believe me. I won't touch alcohol because of what I've seen it do and it won't find it's way into my house.
I only wish society would put half the effort into anti-drunk campaigns as they do for anti-smoking(notice I said anti-drunk and not anti-alchohol). I don't smoke either but, now that smoking is banned in most public places, of the two I see alcohol abuse destroying the lives of far more innocent people than smoking.
Hang in there.
I don't see how you can even compare the two.

fairybasslet:
I don't see how you can even compare the two.

Really? You don't see alcohol related problems everywhere you turn?

Anyway, this is hardly the place to debate which is worse however and I'm sure the OP isn't interested in this thread going that way so I'll leave it alone.

Pathfinder:
Really? You don't see alcohol related problems everywhere you turn?

Anyway, this is hardly the place to debate which is worse however and I'm sure the OP isn't interested in this thread going that way so I'll leave it alone.
Of course there are alcohol related problems. They have been around long before any smoking bans were put into place. AA was founded in the 1930's when actors were still lighting up on the silver screeen.

AA has the greatest percentage of recovered alcoholics, and still the majority of alcoholics in AA don't make it.

There is a saying in the Big Book: "We are not cured. What we have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition."

Alcohol is no respecter of persons.

I'll add your friend to our prayers, that he will find the higher power to help him. And spend each day, One day at a time, maintaining his sobriety. This has worked for me for 17 years.

Rick Inman:
AA has the greatest percentage of recovered alcoholics, and still the majority of alcoholics in AA don't make it.

There is a saying in the Big Book: "We are not cured. What we have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition."

Alcohol is no respecter of persons.

I'll add your friend to our prayers, that he will find the higher power to help him. And spend each day, One day at a time, maintaining his sobriety. This has worked for me for 17 years.
Might I add that all people affected by an alcoholic try out an Al-Anon meeting. Or for kids, Alateen. And for adult children of alcoholics, ACOA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom