I need some advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leo311

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Between North Metro Atlanta the the Middle East
I've got someone that's interested in becoming a member of our team. The person is a PSD and a DM. I'm told the person is good in the water. Problem is, I wouldn't share a reg with the person. My guys wouldn't either. It's tough decision time and I'd like an idea or two. Thanx, Leo.

leo311:
Personal choice/lifestyle differences.

It is difficult to give you an answer with such a vague response. If you are talking about not wanting to physically share a regulator because of a disease or something, I can't imagine anything being transmitted underwater. If you feel this person could potentially be a hazard underwater then I would not dive with him. Diving can have its problems, and if your buddy comes to you for help underwater and you refuse to share a regulator with him because of lifestyle differences / personal choice well thats just wrong. What if he died?

Riding on the big red truck with someone is different than sharing a regulator. Everyone has his or her own SCBA facepiece for a reason. Disease transmission is a concern. Appropriate PPE/BSI procedures go out the window when you start sharing regulators in an out of air emergency or any training exercises. Problems arise when there is percieved discrimination due to one's sexual orientation, history, number of partners, etc. There wouldn't be a problem working at the same station, but I can't order someone to do something when they have what they believe to be a legitimate concern about their personal safety. I know that there is a concern sharing a reg with anyone; if you wouldn't share a reg with someone, you shouldn't be diving with that person. Black water is no place for an issue with trust. Has this been an issue for anyone else?

leo311:
I've got someone that's interested in becoming a member of our team. The person is a PSD and a DM. I'm told the person is good in the water. Problem is, I wouldn't share a reg with the person. My guys wouldn't either. It's tough decision time and I'd like an idea or two. Thanx, Leo.
First off everyone on the team has to be totally comfortable with each other. One part of that is sharing gear without hesitation.

In Rescue mode males and females getting dressed and undressed in front of each other without a second thought about it and having total trust in the others actions in and out of the water.

When we vote on a new team member it is 100%. One “NO” vote is an all “NO” vote. Our “SRU” team is the same way.

So when it comes to a vote, that person is not around, you discuss everything about him/her and vote. One “NO” is a “NO” period. The person doesn’t have to know who or even why. All they need to know is there is a problem with one or more of the members.

If they are still interested they can ask why and it’s up to the team if they tell them or not but never who was the “NO” vote.

You may or may not want to tell them if they correct the problem they can reapply to the team at a later date.

In this business there can be no second thoughts. It needs to be right the first time or a least close to it and not a total FUBAR because of an uncomfortable member.

Gary D. :wink:

I think you answered your own question.

I'd also look at exactly what these "lifestyle choices" are that are making you so weirded out and see if there's a personal issue that you might want to deal with.

Rachel

Back
Top Bottom