I need to get wet.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's open is Dungeness Crab. It does appear that it's legal to take them by hand while SCUBA diving, but:

1. I've got 1700-1800 dives in the Monterey area, and I've never seen one. I've seen a very few Red Rock Crabs, which are similar.

2. The fishers soak their crab pots in waters that are beyond recreational depths and WAY too far to beach dive.

3. I've got a couple of buddies who like crab, have boats, and go drop their pots before the first dive and pick them up after the second dive. No attempt to find them on SCUBA.

I think there's a message there.

Chuck

i don't think you'll find them in the monterey area, plus it's illegal to take in the monterey area. i have seen a few people on spearboard mention they'll take crab on scuba but only in the northcoast which should work just fine for McGinnis as he's in the sacramento area. I think it's just more popular to take crabs via pots.

It is common on the North Coast to dive for crabs over the sand. Some of the rivers are loaded with crabs.

Then there is Ben the Scooter Crabboy. He thinks he can herd them...

Hey I was doing a good job of getting them rounded up... you and Ryan were the spoilsports who wouldn't join the crab rodeo! :p

Just moved to Sac from Oregon so I'm looking for people to meet up with within an hour or two of Sac. Dive on single lp 90. Would love to go grab some bugs or crabs. Very open schedule during the week.

Brian

Brian, give me a PM. I often have a weekday free. Also try the Greater Bay Area Scuba Lovers Meetup group. I've found some great buddies that way. I'm not much into crabbing, but do like to dive.

Only part of Monterey is an invert no-take zone. Most of it is open. Just know where the boundaries are and what's legal where. If the Dungies are on the sand, there's a lot of completely unrestricted sand. But where I see people putting their pots in is out a lot deeper than that, way beyond the boundaries.

I have seen Dungeness at Carmel River SB. Some drop traps from kayaks or boats before diving and pick-up afterwards. Check Fisherman's Warehouse for crab pots. They tend to have sales also. Sign up for their mailing list. Also check SpearBoard California section. But be aware most freedive for lobster and crab on SpearBoard and use hoopnets and crab pots. Only a few use SCUBA in SpearBoard California Section. Strange, the Fisherman's Warehouse website has no crab traps listed this year. It is worthwhile to check out the store or give them a call. There should be reports for crabs and lobster on SpearBoard also check BloodyDecks for reports and pictures.

Thanks. All taking of Marine life is prohibited in the SCMA except fish and maybe kelp. I cannot edit incorrectly written previous post anymore.

Back
Top Bottom