I need your help again...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtdivegirl

Contributor
Reaction score
So now that I have mastered all those silly mask clearing skills I need your help again. I realize that this skill will be no trouble in open water but in confined water I am having trouble.
My trouble is with CESA (controlled emergancy swimming ascent)..when it has to be done horizontally for 30 feet in confined water. My problem is that I breath out both my nose and my mouth and find it hard to slowly release the breath in my lungs over 30 feet. I seem to peeter (great word) out at around 25 feet, that's why I doubt it will be a problem in open water..that whole air expansion thing.
So...any suggestions? I know Walter will have an opinion..lay it on me brother..because you are my guru (or at least one of the many)
:confused:

You need to stop blowing out of your nose to start with. Some people recommend making a humming type noise as you exhale, maybe that will help you.

Tom

Time yourself. 45 seconds should not be a problem. Shoot for a goal of 1 minute. Then do it while swimming.

Pretend your blowing bubbles. Trying to make a great big huge one, carfully blowing it up slow so you don't break it.

Just practice. The 30 ft simulation is nothing but a practice run anyway. It's hard because you are not ascending and air is not expanding. I's safe for the same reason.

Take a normal breath of air into your lungs, now exhale through your mouth makking an aaahhhhhhhhhh sound, see how long it takes you to run out of air.

Remember when doing this vertically from depth the air in your lungs is expanding, you will find if you exhale nice and slow making the aaahhhhh sound you will have plenty of air to complete the ecercise

Cheers
Chris
PADI MSDT
http://homepage.mac.com/sydney_diver/

You have received some excellent suggestions. Use them. One thing I do when teaching ESA is to remind my students that as they ascend, the ambient pressure decreases while the pressure in their tank remains the same. As a result, you can usually get another breath or two from an "empty" tank as you ascend. I remind them to try to breathe in at least once during the ESA.

Thanks again everyone for the advice. I will try it all. My OW dives have been postponed for a few months so I won't be certified any time soon but I will finish up my classroom/confined work and let you know how I do with this skill in that situation.

A few months? That should put you in October or later. I've never dived Montana, but I'd think the water would be considerably colder by then. BBBBRRRRR.

If i dont do my check out dives in august I will have to do them later, sept or dec. You are right...diving around here would be damn chilly but according to my somewhat reliable LDS they will be offering check out dives during those months down in salt lake at crater of the moon lake or some such place that only allows bathing suits, no wetsuits, because they want to keep it "pure" whatever that means.
So if any of you have dived it..let me know what its like

Back
Top Bottom