I need your shark stories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Everyone! I am interested in hearing about your experiences with Sand Tiger sharks. I am putting together a proposal for a documentary called "SEVENTH DEADLIEST?" Since Discovery Channel ranked Sand Tiger shark as the "Seventh Deadliest" shark among all, I would like to interview people who have dived with these sharks about whether such a ranking is justified.

Please PM me with your shark stories be they good experiences or scary ones.

Cheers -

CS

I was diving off the coast one time last summer on the Gill. I saw a 9' sand tiger swimming towards me and for some odd reason my shoulders started cramping up.

The shark sensed this and motioned me to turn around. He rubbed my shoulders until the cramps went away...although in hindsight I think he might have lingered a little too long.

Bastard didn't even give me his number afterwards.

Hello Everyone! I am interested in hearing about your experiences with Sand Tiger sharks. I am putting together a proposal for a documentary called "SEVENTH DEADLIEST?" Since Discovery Channel ranked Sand Tiger shark as the "Seventh Deadliest" shark among all, I would like to interview people who have dived with these sharks about whether such a ranking is justified.

Please PM me with your shark stories be they good experiences or scary ones.

Cheers -

CS

You should make a real documentary that showcases human interaction with sand tigers..they are freaking harmless...unless you shoot a fish in front of one and are too much of a dumbass to just pay the tax man when he comes to collect.

You can google North Carolina wreck diving and see 1000 videos of sand tigers doing what they do naturally around divers...nothing. Discovery is a bunch of fear mongering douchebags.

My understanding is that those sand tigers that are found in South Africa have been known to attack. There they are known as Ragged Tooth or "raggies". I recall reading that somewhere and the article acknowledged that the Sand Tigers found off the East Coast were fairly docile.

I've dived with raggies in SA many times - never an issue. I've never heard of a fatality from them. They're inquisitive and fun to watch when diving. Just never play or intimidate them - when nervous they can bite really hard.

You should make a real documentary that showcases human interaction with sand tigers..they are freaking harmless.

That is exactly the idea. Which is why it is called "Seventh Deadliest?"

I have been in the water with all sorts of sharks off the NC coast. Sandtigers of course, Sandbars, Bulls, Hammerheads, Duskies, even a Tiger once. Never a Great White. They all seem harmless to divers. We in no way resemble anything they naturally prey on. Surfers resemble seals or turtles to the shark, so maybe that is why they sometimes are attacked. I would think 7th Deadliest would imply they are fairly harmless. What is the 7th deadliest form of transportation, a bicycle?

Found this from National Transportation Safety Board 1999-2000 U.S. Transportation Fatalities According to them number 7 on the highway is busses.

1999 20001
Highway:Passenger cars20,862 20,455
Light trucks and vans11,265 11,439
Pedestrians4,939 4,727
Motorcycles2,483 2,680
Pedalcycles754 738
Medium and heavy trucks759 746
Buses59 31
Other596 984
Total41,717 41,800

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back