I think I met a dir padi instructor today.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

double125's once bubbled...
I might have a style that is open for criticism but that does not give people the right to chew me up one side and down the other.
...sounds little hypocritical to me. You want to chew DIR up one side and down the other even though this incident had nothing to do with DIR.

But I don't care... whack away at DIR to your heart's content... if that's your itch then you gotta scratch it.

At least I havent told someone there going to die because they dont see things my way. I have had dir fanatics tell me that before. This last incident was not the first and I am sure it wont be the last.

At least I havent...
...that pretty much puts you on the high moral ground so no wonder you feel free to trash DIR even if you have to shoe horn it into an unrelated incident.

lal7176 I dont have a lift bag as of yet. I am not sure which side of that argument to take. On one hand you could say dont attatch any lift device to yourself other than a bc (in other words trust your gear and count on not having a bc failure) or you could say that backup is always the best solution (even though a lift bag is the less than recomended method for a backup).Keeping in mind my diving environment. I dive lakes mostly, only been in the ocean for a one week time frame (7 days 14 dives 12hours). My dive profile sounds like this: enter the water from shore, descend to about 10 foot then follow the bottom contour to depth, ascend by following the lake bottom back to shallows and finsh dive there. In the case of bc failure I could crawl back to shore without ever having to fin against negative bouancy. The tanks are about neg 20 full and netral empty. my overall setup is very close to neutral with 500 psi in it. Feel free to comment and challenge my method of thinking.

I personally wouldnt dive that setup without a drysuit. Its just too risky. I dive in a drysuit and carry a halcyon 80lb bag.

What happens if you get in deeper water and for some reason need to make an ascent to the surface for some reason, feeling dizzy, urge to vomit, feel like your gonna lose consciousness, whatever the reason may be and your bc malfunctions for whatever reason and doesnt work as intended. On top of that you dont have a buddy to assist you back to the surface and no redundant buoyancy. That could be a long crawl back to shore.:D

I have had dir fanatics tell me that before. This last incident was not the first and I am sure it wont be the last.
In case you missed it... this last incident wasn't a DIR fanatic telling you that you were going to die.

It was a retired military serviceman referring you to the wing commander's policy against solo diving.

Funny how little things like that can get lost in a frenzy of itch'n & scratch'n

good point about the need for redundancy on the bladder. Like I said I havent had any real proof that a backup system would be needed. You make a good point and now you got the gears turning. As far as the dry suit goes I would not be able to afford one in the near future because all my gear you see has been puchased since feb and leaving the bank account a little dryer than normal. I am still not sure I would even like diving in a drysuit. everyone I have spoke to swears by them but I havent convinced myself it is a necessity. Plus the post hear on scubaboard on the drysuit causing a blackout poses some concern for me. There are a lot of other factors about a drysuit that I've heard makes them difficult to dive. Excess weight, uncontrolled feet first ascents,extra bottle to carry and another hose to get tangled in. Hear is one dir philosiphy I like (everybuddy listening, pat on the back for dir). They belive in keeping it simple. to me adding a drysuit seems to compound the issue excessively. Thanks for the post and keep the constructive critisism coming.

There are a lot of other factors about a drysuit that I've heard makes them difficult to dive. Excess weight, uncontrolled feet first ascents,extra bottle to carry and another hose to get tangled in. Hear is one dir philosiphy I like (everybuddy listening, pat on the back for dir). They belive in keeping it simple. to me adding a drysuit seems to compound the issue excessively. Thanks for the post and keep the constructive critisism coming.

The main thing with a drysuit is to get a proper fit, trim the seals properly, wear the proper undergarments for the enviroment your diving and get the PROPER TRAINING on how to use it.

I wear the same amount of weight with my drysuit that i wore with a 7mm wetsuit. The key is not using excessive air in your drysuit.

There is no need for an extra bottle unless you want to use argon or dive trimix.

There is a possibility of a feet first ascent if you have to much air in your suit or your inflator sticks. This where proper training comes into play.

A drysuit does compound things slightly but not excessively. My biggest gripe is slightly more drag in the water but im not having underwater drag races anyhow. I no longer wear a wetsuit and sold it after going to a drysuit. Yes its that good :D

hey Uncle Pug I am sorry if I am attacking your style of diving, like I said I know there are some good dir divers out there I just have not met them. If you dive DIR that is great. from What I have seen on this board you are one of the best divers around. I also note you have not used the dreaded "die" word. That is what DIR needs.Its unfortunate what they say but it is true. For every a$$h0le out there you need ten atta boys to cover his mistakes. The guy admitted to being a padi instructor and former ssi instructer. He never said whether or not he was dir thus we dont know if my assumption was incorrect. He did however display the same traits as other dir divers I have met in person. Please dont take offense to anything I say and as always bring on the tips and suggestions. I love learning more about scuba and the best way to do that is if we get this pissing match behind us and start acting like civil people. If I get out of hand on this board feel free to correct me or send me a pm.

lal7176 once bubbled...

I personally wouldnt dive that setup without a drysuit. Its just too risky. I dive in a drysuit and carry a halcyon 80lb bag.

What happens if you get in deeper water and for some reason need to make an ascent to the surface for some reason, feeling dizzy, urge to vomit, feel like your gonna lose consciousness, whatever the reason may be and your bc malfunctions for whatever reason and doesnt work as intended. On top of that you dont have a buddy to assist you back to the surface and no redundant buoyancy. That could be a long crawl back to shore.:D

LOL, you're really reaching..... :) I'm thinking if he's going to worry about this then he should probably get insurance incase aliens abduct and have sex with him on the way to the divesite. LOL

R..
P.S. I agree that redundant buoyancy is good just not for this reason.... LOL

Diver0001 once bubbled...

LOL, you're really reaching..... :) I'm thinking if he's going to worry about this then he should probably get insurance incase aliens abduct and have sex with him on the way to the divesite. LOL

R..
P.S. I agree that redundant buoyancy is good just not for this reason.... LOL

Just make sure you get pictures and if he enjoys it he is a sicko :D

I know those were some poor examples but its not like he is diving a mile back inside of a cave, diving a bottomless ocean or looking at extremely long deco times. But who knows.....$hit happens:D

Besides that crawling back to shore tends to stir up the vis for other divers :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom