I think it should be "Finders Keepers"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michigan chris

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Read the last line of the article. I think when the captain jumped off the ship it's finders keepers.

Deep-sea explorers say shipwreck likely a Spanish galleon
By MITCH STACY
Associated Press Writer

TAMPA, Fla. — The legal battle between the Spanish government and Florida deep-sea explorers intensified Thursday with the company's announcement that the estimated $500 million in treasure recovered last year could have come from the wreck of a Spanish galleon.

An attorney for the Spanish government said he would go "full speed ahead" with trying to force Odyssey Marine Exploration to give back the 17 tons of silver coins and other artifacts after the company publicly announced the name of the Nuestra Senora de las Mercedes y las Animas, which sank in the Atlantic southwest of Portugal in 1804.

The announcement confirmed what was already widely believed in Spain and elsewhere.

Still, Odyssey had fought to keep the suspected identity of the lucrative shipwreck secret, fearing others would plunder the site. And, company officials argued, they still don't have conclusive proof that the wreck is the one they think it is.

But on Thursday, a federal magistrate judge ordered Odyssey to provide its "working hypothesis" regarding the identity of the shipwreck. The company followed with a news release naming the Spanish galleon as the suspected wreck to which it had sought exclusive salvage rights west of the Straits of Gibraltar. A customs form in the court file indicated the coins were raised from that general location and flown out of Gibraltar.

In the order, U.S. Magistrate Judge Mark Pizzo wrote that he "finds it unlikely that the public release of the information would ignite a 'treasure hunting free-for-all' as Odyssey claims."

Greg Stemm, CEO of the publicly traded company, lamented the judge's decision.

"Experience has shown us how difficult it is to prevent unwarranted speculation about the identity and potential value of our finds once the possible identity of a site is made public," Stemm said in the statement. "But we also respect the need to make sufficient information public to satisfy the requirement to alert potential claimants."

Odyssey created an international stir when it announced in May the coins had been recovered and flown back to Tampa. Spain went to federal court claiming ownership of the treasure if it is in any way connected to the country's national heritage.

James Goold, the Washington-based attorney for the Spanish government, has accused Odyssey officials of dragging their feet in turning over information about the shipwreck. Pizzo seemed to agree with that assessment, saying in the order that he finds the company's "appeal for secrecy to be disingenuous and utterly without merit."

Odyssey officials believe the court will award them the majority of the treasure as the salver. Spain is arguing that it should all be returned because it was never expressly abandoned.

If you dropped your engraved diamond ring or Rolex in the river, when do you think you should give up any rights to it?

You must think beyond "gold and silver in shipwrecks" to understand the importance of this issue. The "finders, keepers" theory of property ownership would never work domestically and it does not work in international law. Short of a declaration of legal abandonment, your property is your property, regardless of the time involved.

I also clearly understand that court rulings might alter ownership in certain circumstances and I know that there are slightly different international understandings for shipwrecks and salvage rights. However, the general concept of property ownership still stands.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

If you dropped your engraved diamond ring or Rolex in the river, when do you think you should give up any rights to it?

The ship sank in 1804.

Any person who had any claim of ownership is long dead.

The current government of Spain did not exist at the time of the sinking.

There has been no action taken by anyone who could have a claim of original ownership to maintain ownership.

If the Spanish Govt. is able to exert a claim on the wreck, it will have been legally stolen from the salvage company who deserves it.

Since the loot was *probably* originally plundered from the Indians (or someone in a similar exploitable situation), it should rightfully belong to them!!!

Good point.

The ship sank in 1804.

Any person who had any claim of ownership is long dead.

The current government of Spain did not exist at the time of the sinking.

There has been no action taken by anyone who could have a claim of original ownership to maintain ownership.

If the Spanish Govt. is able to exert a claim on the wreck, it will have been legally stolen from the salvage company who deserves it.

I agree! If Spain was so concerned why didn't they have expeditions searching for the vessels a long time ago. If Spain wins this case it is modern day piracy.

Each nation, state, province, territory, etc. will have its own unique law regarding finding treasure. The first step is to find out what that law states.

The second step is to keep it quiet, as quiet as possible, so that you do not arouse any unwanted attention.

The lawsuits normally begin whenever someone else hears about it.

Abandonment normally occurs when there is no longer any specific right to salvage. The deaths of persons and of corporations normally establishes abandonment. Insurance companies can have long lives of several hundred years, however, like Lloyds.

The law is never just "finders keepers." Not even on dry land.

So if I ever found anything, I would certainly keep it quiet, then melt it down, and sell it for ore value, if I needed money to cover the salvage expense. Or else leave the area of the find quietly, and set up a nice museum someplace else, and charge admission.

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing it!

It is never brought up in the news when these things come about that Spain never had a thing that they did not murder someone, rob them, pillage their country, or destroy their way of life in order to get it. That Spain could lay claim to any treasure is not only laughable but an insult to those whose ancestors were slaughtered in order to bring these things back to Spain and let's not forget the church. How much gold, silver, and gems with Aztec, Inca, Mayan, etc blood on it is sitting in the Vatican vaults. Any time I hear of so-called "Spanish treasure" I want to puke.

Since the loot was *probably* originally plundered from the Indians (or someone in a similar exploitable situation), it should rightfully belong to them!!!

Great point.

Some stragtegy advice for the salvage company: In the event the Spanish Govt. prevails in their claim, File a suit on behaf of the indegenous peoples of central and south america for restitution of their stolen property.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom