I wanna go diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of great tips all - yeah I took my drysuit course in late August but only got 6 dives in over 2 days. I need much more dives be comfortable - my second day was better - but still not great.

PADI teaches to use only a single device (suit) for buoyancy - but everything I've read since is:

1. Enough air in the suit to keep squeeze away.
2. Use BC / BP/W for buoyancy.

Just wanna practice using that methodology - we weren't supposed to do it in the course.

Thanks all.

Practice is the key, just getting out and diving will give you that. And whichever method you choose is just fine, one or the other or both, does not matter.

I think you need a road trip out here where the water does not freeze :)

I dive without a BC.......

Now that is a whole other argument that needs its' own thread, you trouble maker :D:rofl3: (not that I cause any :wink:)

Padi DSAT Tec 40 teaches to use the wing for buoyancy and the drysuit for comfort (and redundancy) I have always dove my drysuit for comfort and bc for buoyancy, it's easier IME.

edit for typos

that you tube video is EXACTLY what we're talking about.

watch it carefully.

Well our interior dive trip got cancelled due to fears of freeze-ups. Your weekend will probably be just as dry. Better luck to us both next week! Guess at -10 outside temps you're starting to push it, and may want to check if you have an environmentally sealed first stage, too. Your biggest challenge will be to find a tough enough dive buddy :).
I did my drysuit course in August, too. Sure humiliating, isn't it? And here we thought we could dive...nope.
I'm with BigHiller on the weight: the instructor started me with about 36 lb, and I spent a huffy, puffy and sweaty 15 minutes (in brutally hot weather) taking it off again in bits and pieces. Wear 22 lb in fresh water now, and haven't had any big buoyancy problems. I could have NEVER managed a bubble big enough to offset all that excess weight if I would have stayed at the originally suggested weight. A normal pool might do you just fine to figure that crucial step out: if you're comfortable to swim, stay and hover at 12', you're gonna be perfect at 25'.

Now that is a whole other argument that needs its' own thread, you trouble maker :D:rofl3: (not that I cause any :wink:)

I guess I won't mention dropping the SPG then...

I guess I won't mention dropping the SPG then...

sssssshhhhhh, you might get kicked off the board for doing that. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom