Iberostar & Dressel Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
ScubaJoy65

ScubaJoy65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Turning 60 in style!

I'm planning a celebratory all-inclusive dive trip for my 60th birthday in January. Knowing winter seas can be tricky, I researched locations and stumbled upon Dressel Divers, a new outfit for us. We have a quote for Dressel Divers with Iberostar in Bayahibe, Dominican Republic, and it's looking promising.

Veteran Diver Seeking Insight

My concern is the dive experience itself. In the past, resorts boasting amazing diving ended up catering to infrequent divers, which isn't ideal for us. With over 1,000 dives under our belts and my passion for underwater photography, being herded around isn't our idea of fun.

Hoping for Fellow Adventurers' Input

Have any seasoned divers experienced Dressel Divers? I'd love to hear about your experience, particularly regarding the dive groups and their suitability for experienced divers.

Thanks in advance!

I've not been to the DR, but reading Undercurrent.org about your intended destination suggests you might be disappointed, both by the diving and by Dressel. The diving appears to be modest at best, and Dressel has you dive their profiles, not yours. You might luck out with no one else on the boat, but if the boat is full and there is one DM per 8-9 divers, you are going to be frustrated, I suspect.

I've not been to the DR, but reading Undercurrent.org about your intended destination suggests you might be disappointed, both by the diving and by Dressel. The diving appears to be modest at best, and Dressel has you dive their profiles, not yours. You might luck out with no one else on the boat, but if the boat is full and there is one DM per 8-9 divers, you are going to be frustrated, I suspect.
Ugh. That's what I had a sneaking suspicion might be the case. With your vast experience, @tursiops, I would welcome other options we might research and explore, if you have any suggestions. :)

What places have you enjoyed in the past? What kind of diving do you like to do? For your photography, are you into wide-angle reef scenes, or macro? Land-based or liveaboard? If lnd-bsed, boat dives or shore? Let's narrow it down a bit....diving for your 60th needs to be special, I agree!

What places have you enjoyed in the past? What kind of diving do you like to do? For your photography, are you into wide-angle reef scenes, or macro? Land-based or liveaboard? If lnd-bsed, boat dives or shore? Let's narrow it down a bit....diving for your 60th needs to be special, I agree!
Oh, you're the best and ask great questions.

Okay - here's some As to your Qs: We loved Anthony's Key in Roatan and Little Cayman Resort.

We enjoyed several Sandals years back (Grenada, Negril, and St. Lucia) but in all the Sandals - we did not care for the herding mentality.

And once we discovered REAL dive resorts - we've been hooked on that. I'm a 3-dive per day girl. My husband is more of a 2-dive per day guy. We do like boat diving, but I appreciate the shorediving we've done here at Riveria Beach (Blue Heron Bridge).

If we did a liveaboard (in the future) we've agreed it would only be for 3 days because we'd miss the land. ;-) I love wide-angle, macro, and micro options.

(Btw, we do a LOT of diving with Jupiter Dive Center, as well as in the Keys and at Blue Heron Bridge. We live in the Tampa area, which gives us easy access to these places.)

Apparently you have not been to Bonaire. That is some really good diving and nice clear water, and you can easily arrange for a private guide (and boat if you want) so you can photograph to your heart's content. Esy to combine shore and boat diving, and adjust number of divers per day. For example, you could dive with your 2-dive-per-day husband in the mornings, and join a group boat without him in the afternoon. There are some super restaurants. Good accomodations to choose from, including resorts and BnBs. Fancy to simple places available. I always stay at Buddy Dive because it suits my needs, others like smaller places.

Apparently you have not been to Bonaire. That is some really good diving and nice clear water, and you can easily arrange for a private guide (and boat if you want) so you can photograph to your heart's content. Esy to combine shore and boat diving, and adjust number of divers per day. For example, you could dive with your 2-dive-per-day husband in the mornings, and join a group boat without him in the afternoon. There are some super restaurants. Good accomodations to choose from, including resorts and BnBs. Fancy to simple places available. I always stay at Buddy Dive because it suits my needs, others like smaller places.
We have not, but it sounds like we may sooner rather than later. :) I'll check them out. Thank you!

I would consider adding Cozumel to your short list.

Many all-inclusive options in Cozumel (Cozumel Palace hotel would be at the very top oy my list).

You can book diving on six-pack type boats which limits the group number to something reasonable (recommend Aldora Divers who offer 100cf tanks and small fast boats).

Cozumel is all drift diving which makes still photography more challenging but very rewarding.

Happy 60th!

I would consider adding Cozumel to your short list.

Many all-inclusive options in Cozumel (Cozumel Palace hotel would be at the very top oy my list).

You can book diving on six-pack type boats which limits the group number to something reasonable (recommend Aldora Divers who offer 100cf tanks and small fast boats).

Its all drift diving which makes still photography more challenging but very rewarding.

Happy 60th!
I was going to recommend Cozumel but I find the photography there just plain difficult, not just challenging.

I was going to recommend Cozumel but I find the photography there just plain difficult, not just challenging.
...But when you get that perfect shot of a Cozumel Toadfish its all worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom