Iberostar vs Sunscape Sabor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We stayed at Iberostar many years ago and stay at Sunscape (attached property to the north actually). We used Dressel at the time for Iberostar - not bad. The food then at Ibersostar was much better but someone here can say how it is now.

We liked having the resort at Sunscape/Secrets mostly parallel to the beach as opposed to Iberostar which extends farther back into the jungle. It was hotter we thought. I think Sunscape/Secrets is better now than when it was Wyndham. I can say the food is better than it was before but defintiely has it's mediocre moments.
Although in low season they will shut down restaurants for some days based on occupancy. I don't really mind as I am not a foodie.

Sunscape/Sabor has not charged us $3 per diver in the last couple of years. We do not use the house dive OP which I think now is Dive House - it changes alot there. According to Dive House's website the charge for Nitrox and their rates are comparable to what I pay for my "boutique" dive op.

The walk is not bad from the pier at Sunscape/Secrets. There is a path of concrete squares parallel to the beach and the pier is in good shape. We have used the concrete pier to the north but haven't done so recently. I didn't ask them the last few times so we just walked down to the wood pier. The wooden pier may be closer for you anyway if you stay there.
We stayed there this June and the place was packed with people. In the winter months (excepting spring break, Easter and US holidays - basically very low season) there are alot less people obviously.

It's been awhile since my dive op picked up divers from Iberostar. I know quite awhile ago some waded to the boat but I swear we stopped there recently and used the pier. I can't say what cost was passed on by Iberostar to my dive op who would not want to pay but might have (doubt it though but who knows).

ColoDale- did you stay at Sundcape, or did you stay at Secrets? You use Sunscape/Sabor a few times and Sunscape/Secrets a few times, so it isn't really clear.

I think Sunscape/Secrets is better now than when it was Wyndham. I can say the food is better than it was before but defintiely has it's mediocre moments.
Secrets can use Sunscape's food options, but the other way around is not true. So are you talking about the food being good at Sunscape, or Secret's restaurants? (We didn't go hungry at Sunscape, it was perfectly okay.)

The walk is not bad from the pier at Sunscape/Secrets. There is a path of concrete squares parallel to the beach and the pier is in good shape.
T
The walk should be super easy from Secrets, since the pier is on their side of the property. Was there really a path? I don't recall seeing anything like that when we stayed at Sunscape, though that was two years ago, maybe your stay is more recent. The walk was a non-issue to us though.

We were told Dive Paradise uses the concrete pier for loading tanks, but guests do do not use that one anymore.

We have stayed at both. So when I say Sunscape/Sabor I am referring to the Sunscapes part. The Sunscape portion has a sign along the road saying Sabor.

The properties are somewhat confusing. Previously the adults only Sabor part behind Secrets now is not Sunscape but is part of Secrets now. So Secrets has multiple parts and the Sunscape has multiple names. Their webpages still refer to Sunscape Sabor and Secrets Aura. It used to be Aura (now Secrets), adults only Sabor (pool with slides now Secrets) and the hotel portion (Sabor hotel? now Sunscapes). I can't say why they did this - it confuses everyone especially those booking Secrets when they find out it's not ocean front, they are in the back part (Sabor not Sunscape) but still Secrets. AMR resorts is the overall property mgmt company.
Clear as mud? We have seen it move from Reef Club with no timeshares, no Aura, and no adults only Sabor through multiple mgmt companies and brands to what it is now and while they are trying to sort out the branding, it hasn't been clear.

Secrets has better food. Sunscape is ok and has it's good moments. I think you are right, the Secrets guests can eat anywhere but not vice versa.

There is a path with concrete squares parallel to the ocean next to where the buildings and rooms stop. We had to walk the beach previously.

Dive House is the operator now. This changed last year I think.

Our last trip was late june this year.

What is really confusing is that several years ago it was the Wyndham, then they had Legionaire's Disease in their pipes and immediately changed the name. I am sure that problem is out of the pipes now but it just shows how companies/facilities can change their names when bad stuff happens…over night. Same thing happens with other Cozumel business. Perhaps some old timers remember?Dave DillehayAldora Divers

Sorry, Dive House was the operator when we were there, not Dive Paradise.

Dear Skitti,I did not mention the Dive OP as they change all the time and frankly I have no idea who it is now. All I can say is that Dressell Divers saved my life (see archives).Dave DillehayAldora Divers

No, it was reference to the post before yours. Which said Dive House was current. Since the OP is looking for op experiences too, I thought it was important to make sure I had it right and I can't edit posts on my phone. I did not dive with them, but everyone I spoke to who did just raved about them- and their boats were overflowing with divers. Perhaps those people don't know what they are missing with the small ops, but I bet most people have a positive experience no matter what they choose.

I want to thank everyone for the responses. Becky and I generally go with small hotels close to the center of town so the whole AI thing will be new for us. Both of us have had a "difficult" year and we really need to just relax and not worry about details.

I am booking the stay through Bay Adventures Travel and as mentioned in the op, the price difference for 7 nights and 10 dives was $60 for both of us. Initially, we were thinking about joining the Surge to Curacao, but the air travel part doesn't have an easy way to make the connection through Miami. In contrast, Southwest is a nonstop 2 3/4 hour flight to Cancun (for a lot less money).

I have never stayed at Sabor but a group of us stayed at Iberostar in March.
1)The Iberostar hotel itself, great, we loved it and would stay there again.
2) The dive op, Dressel Divers, not so much. They seem like they are set up for novices and students. The most experienced group will be on the same boat with open water students. All their boats go to the same reef on the same day/ time, so you can end up (and we did) with 60 divers getting in the water at the same place and time. We liked one DM and requested her but had 5 different DMs in 5 days. So every day, you have a new DM, who doesn't know your ability, giving you the OK signal or asking for your air every five minutes. We would not dive with Dressels again.

Given your options, I would suggest you take another look at Scuba Club. It does not get any easier and the shore dive is at least as good as Spring Lake (and you get free air). Their AI include diving but does not include tips.

Back
Top Bottom