ICD and gas swaps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which is you plan for a 100 meters / 328 feet dive?
10/85
21/35 at 190’
35/25 at 120’
50% at 70’
100% at 20ft

Two on the chest, two on a leash. Done.

This seems to be a Heliox dive instead of Trimix dive.
You seems extremely conservative, using a END = 20 meters, which forces to make a big jump in END when switching on first deco gas:

icd.png

when switching on Tx 21/35 your PpN2 jumps from 0,33 to 2,95 instantly ( @ 190 feet ).
( PpN2 on orange line )

Assuming a dive with 18 mins of bottom time, and a use of VPM+2, your dive gives a Runtime of 121 minutes.

Now, using the same decompression algorithm and the same number of deco tanks, with for example, the following gases:
Bottom: 12/60
Deco: 20/50 @ 230f
30/38 @ 135f
50/15 @ 72f
OXY @ 20f

icd3.jpg

you have no big jump in END and a smooth gas/Pps progression.

The final RunTime is now equal to 115 minutes.

icd2.jpg

Attachments

• icd3.jpg
    icd3.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 55
This seems to be a Heliox dive instead of Trimix dive.
You seems extremely conservative, using a END = 20 meters, which forces to make a big jump in END when switching on first deco gas:

View attachment 439676
when switching on Tx 21/35 your PpN2 jumps from 0,33 to 2,95 instantly ( @ 190 feet ).
( PpN2 on orange line )

Assuming a dive with 18 mins of bottom time, and a use of VPM+2, your dive gives a Runtime of 121 minutes.

Now, using the same decompression algorithm and the same number of deco tanks, with for example, the following gases:
Bottom: 12/60
Deco: 20/50 @ 230f
30/38 @ 135f
50/15 @ 72f
OXY @ 20f

View attachment 439677
you have no big jump in END and a smooth gas/Pps progression.

The final RunTime is now equal to 115 minutes.

View attachment 439679
1.6@ 230ft?
Vpm?
100ft end below 300ft?
Dat gas density?

No thx.

Last edited:
1.6@ 230ft?
Vpm?
100ft end below 300ft?
Dat gas density?
No thx.

You have not specified if you use Buhlmann or VPM.
Gas density ( EADD ) is 43m / 142f. What's the problem?
pp = 1.6? This is normally used ... but in every deco planner you can adjust deco PpO2 as you want ..... ( however in deep stops you have a PpO2 = 1.6 for a very short time when switching, and it decreases while ascending, so this is not really a problem ).

If you calculate a RunTime with a max deco PpO2 of 1.4 you got 127 mins. ( + 6 mins on your Runtime, so not significantly longer ), but evitating
a brutal jump on PpN2 @ 190f and consequent ICD risks, with same number of gas swaps.

Standard gases make so many things much easier. And if there was such a huge ICD risk, guys using standard gasses would be getting torched all the time, and it's just not happening.

I'm with AJ on this one. I mean, aside from his use of imperial witchcraft when it comes to diving, I just don't see a problem with what he would do, and a great many other divers who are successfully doing these dives do not see any problem with it either.

Everyone make it's own choices based on it's own experience and it's formation. And I agree that.

I replied to a supposed additional risks taking care about ICD on gas switches because this require more tanks. This is not true and I explained with a rapid example.

However I see that it has different approach to similar problems.
Yes, ICD is a problem that satistically rarely occurs, exactly as Narcosis at 30m/98f. ( Never seen that ).
( I have 2500+ dives, a lot of air dives at 60m/196f and deeper, I have never faced to a buddy narcosis problem. Much more rarely ( NEVER ) on trimix dives using PpN2 = 3.5.
Despite my personal experience i dont think that narcosis do not exists )
It's choice is to ignore ICD problem and taking extremely care of Narcosis, using a END = 65 feet. ( Narcosis at 20m/60f is statistically = 0 )

Last edited:
Everyone make it's own choices based on it's own experience and it's formation. And agree that.

I replied to a supposed additional risks taking care about ICD on gas switches because this require more tanks. This is not true and I explained with a rapid example.

However I see that it has different approach to similar problems.
Yes, ICD is a problem that satistically rarely occurs, exactly as Narcosis at 30m/98f. ( Never seen that ).
( I have 2500+ dives, a lot of air dives at 60m/196f and deeper, I have never faced to a buddy narcosis problem. Much more rarely ( NEVER ) on trimix dives using PpN2 = 3.5.
Despite my personal experience i dont think that narcosis do not exists )
It's choice is to ignore ICD problem and taking extremely care of Narcosis, using a END = 65 feet. ( Narcosis at 20m/60f is statistically = 0 )
You’ve never seen narcosis present itself at 98ft?

I might suggest trying a dive on nitrox then doing it again on 30/30. The different is marked.

You’ve never seen narcosis present itself at 98ft?
I might suggest trying a dive on nitrox then doing it again on 30/30. The different is marked.

Never

Yes I kwow that .... by the way I put in my software a EADD ( Equivalent Air Depth Density ) indication when choosing bottom gasses and deco gasses ( I think it's the only software with this option ).
As conservatism ( Buhlmann w/GF's or VPM +xx factor ) everyone chooses what is best for him ( within certain limits ).

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom