ID for Belize finds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
stronj1

stronj1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can anyone help ID these critters found in Belize the week of February 5-12, 2022? Some type of sea hare, juvenile snapper, and shrimp (I'd like to know specific if possible from quality of photo.) Thanks in advance!

20220210-P2100985.jpg
20220206-P2060080.jpg
20220208-P2080717.jpg

I think you're right on #1 - Looks like a sea hare, but don't know the species. Could simply be a Slug Seahare? In #2 the fish are kind of far away, but they look like they could be Schoolmasters?? And no idea on #3...pretty cool, though! :)

#2: blackfin snapper, juv
1644867616556.png

#1: definitely not a sea hare
1644867706822.png

#3: Nice shot! The eyes are really distinctive! The eyes are mantis-like, but not on stalks, and the rest of the body is not mantis-like. The body is like a peppermint shrimp.

#2 Petalifera ramosa, the scattered low pinkish tuberacles are a good indicator of this particular seahare.

#3 Perhaps a Velvet Shrimp, Metapenaeopsis goodei ?

#2 Petalifera ramosa, the scattered low pinkish tuberacles are a good indicator of this particular seahare.

Yes, #3, good call.
#1: not convinced

Whoops . #1 ..sorry.
Here is one of my photos hopefully showing a bit more detail..but one in the same animal I'm quite sure.

Attachments

• Petalifera ramosa Sea Hare-0956.jpg
    Petalifera ramosa Sea Hare-0956.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 62

The shrimp was sitting on a coral during a night dive. When I have seen velvet shrimp, they were usually in the sand sharing a hole with a blenny. Would the location rule out velvet shrimp?

Not at all. I don't recall ever seeing them sharing space with a blenny< but just about every place else, on the hardpan, sand, coral, etc.

Back
Top Bottom