ID Please ? + imgs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onbelaydave

Reaction score
I still can't figure out what this is. It looked like a sculpin with some type of fungus growing on it. Taken at Santa Cruz Is., late Sept.. the fish was about 2-3" long

40010_1100746462_unknown-5.jpg

40010_1096858025_Sculpin-and-Fungus-1.jpg

Awesome Pictures

Could be a variation of Scalyhead Sculpin(Juvenile) but i'm leaning torwards the coralline because of the enlongated and narrow snout. Woolly species is out because the snout is alot flatter and the colors dont match at all(Grey). but i'm in no way a proffesional just trying to help. Awesome picture taking by the way!!

That fungus looks like a sponge???

i saw a couple other pictures of coralline sculpins online, and they look just like your picture, they even have fungus of their own! i just searched for coraline sculpin on google images.

i think the encrusting sponge fungus is just the coloration of the sculpin's skin, I've never heard of a fungus or sponge actually growing on a fish in so-cal, at least in that manner.

btw, onbelaydave, what is your avatar? its pretty nice. it looks like either a pelagic gastropod or blown glass from murano...

scott

scottfiji:
i saw a couple other pictures of coralline sculpins online, and they look just like your picture, they even have fungus of their own! i just searched for coraline sculpin on google images.

i think the encrusting sponge fungus is just the coloration of the sculpin's skin, I've never heard of a fungus or sponge actually growing on a fish in so-cal, at least in that manner.

btw, onbelaydave, what is your avatar? its pretty nice. it looks like either a pelagic gastropod or blown glass from murano...

scott

Thank you all, jlyle got a confirmed ID of a Coralline sculpin.

Dude...totally cool photos...

Coralline Sculpin...but than again, you know that...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom