ID this fish by it's vertebra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MantaRey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
In Anthropology class (school seems so long ago now) our professor had us ID the different human species using fragments of bone (like a jawbone). So I know this is possible for other species like fish.

Is anyone able to ID this fish with this vertebra I found a few months ago? It was found here off of Palm Beach at the Governor's Riverwalk. I found it right in the sand at the bow of one of the wrecks. If you can imagine a ship sitting upright in the sand; I found it right where the keel pops out of the sand. It was the only bone laying there with other debris (like seaweeds) that seemed to end up there because of currents. Neural and haemal spines are intact with arches. The depressions in the centrum are deep too; looks like another millimeter and there would be a hole going right through the center. Amazingly it survived my dive and climbing onto the boat while in my hand without shattering.

vert.jpg

vert2.jpg

vert3.jpg

It's pretty big so my guess is a barracuda; especially considering many of them school around these wrecks, as well as lemon and bull sharks who are likely to eat them. Can anyone confirm this?

Also not that long after: I found this at another site. It's a really fresh bull shark tooth. Yeah it's definitely sharp. I love finding stuff like this.

tooth.jpg

One of the other DM's found another tooth 5 feet from this one, but the long skinny kind. The "fork" kind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom