IDC's in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tony007

Reaction score
PADI DM looking for an IDC in Thailand. Dived in Koh Tao, Phi Phi and Similians but not worried where. Looking more for a quality IDC and Instructor. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Well done on getting to Dm

If you want a better chance of work You should look at SSI www.ssithailand.com

my friends 4 in total just compleated an ITC and have work instantly.

Padi is great but Padi Instructors are now 3 a dollar and unless you have something extra its difficult to get work.

SSI is growing fast and have adverts for work in Thailand Vietnam, cambodia and Australia,Koh tao has 15 schools now who have switched allready.

One of there Instructor certifiers claims they have a 100% job placement to date for over 200 instructors.

Just a thought

getting a job in the dive industry is two things, luck & qualifications - plus maybe who you know. saying its easier to get employed if you are ssi rather than padi isn't really correct and for some starting out in the professional world perhaps a touch misleading. 100% claim, lots of people make that - they dont get you a job you go out and look for one. dive schools are switching to ssi as the profit levels can be significantly higher than with padi if you sell a lot of con ed due to reduced admin costs.

my advice - PADI as it is more universially accepted than ssi - try and find workl as an SSI inst in europe - not that easy. then if you need/want do a cross over to ssi or bsac or naui or whatever.

PADI are the slickest as far a educational tools and support goes. i am not biased as i am qualified in ssi bsac and padi but thats just the way it is. they do it more professionally because it is a massive company.

at the end of the day it is down to the inst though. get qualified, earn some spec rating bve presentable and professional and you will find employement. doesnt matter what agency you are under if you are a muppet you will struggle to find work :)

pls do not flame me for my views, they are my own :)

Agree with smartcosse. SSI may be groing, but the earlier advice to do SSI is simply not correct. Here on Phuket the vast majority of the DC's is PADI, with a SSI Instructor qualification it will be very hard to find a job, simply because there are nearly no SSI Centers.

So part of it depends on where you want to go after the IDC.

This is what I recived in My in box last week.....

I had two staff up and leave after I showed them this one has a two year visa attached with Job in australia...I wish them every success.

Hello all

Due to ever increasing expansion SSI are in urgent need for instructors in Thailand, Vietnam Australia and Cambodia that are active with SSI or dual certified.

Job placement will be done via SSI head office as our dive centers have requested.

To date we have 100 percent record of job placement for SSI instructors.

Please contact us if you have staff ready to move on or have suitable applicants. There are both instructor and manager positions available.

We look forward to hearing from you

Kind regards
GARY HAWKES
MANAGING DIRECTOR
SSI THAILAND CO. LTD.,
E-Mail: gary@ssithailand.com

Any how I agree that you should not be just SSI The perfect combo is Padi/SSI
In terms of haveing more to offer.

Just trying to help out
All the best

stiggy

Having seen some of the SSI Training materials (dvds) I would suggest they are of a high quality , and a worthy addition to any Instructors Library but as for being only a SSI instructor I believe that would be a silly career move. On Phuket I know of only 1 SSI Dive Centre where there must be 200+ PADI Dive Shops / Centres and Resorts offering courses and services to the growing number of divers / tourists wanting to experience diving here. Once you choose and complete your Instructor course the economics dictate that you will be in more demand being a PADI instructor, I can testify that their professionalism and education materials and programs are the best and have are constantly evolving. I will possibly consider cross training to CMAS / NAUI / SSI one day but at the moment it doesnt seem worthwhile as currently PADI are by far the biggest fish in the Ocean.

I just booked some diving with www.thaitravelcard.com I saw on there website that there offering to book IDC's at wholesale rates, savings are huge 6000 to 7000 baht off.worth a look. Also check out www.scubatuna.com CD's name is Thein, he,s really good and does private idc's takes real care to create good instructors, be careful not to get lumped with a big group intake as they will get you through the course but not have enough time to help you with the stuff that's not padi course material, and its that help that will mould you into a good instructor, the Padi IDC's is more about selling padi than teaching diving. shown by the large number of numpty's that managed to pass the courses even though they shoud,nt be diving in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom