Ideal knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want a knife to cut you out of line or netting, then the knife you want is here: http://www.newenglandmarine.com/Product Categories/Knives.htm. The Victorinox 4059 or 4063 will go through the heaviest line like butter. At $5 each, they're disposable as well, so losing one is no big deal and sharpening it would be silly. I just buy a couple each year. The only problem is that they are VERY sharp, so you really have to watch how you wave them around:D . I wound up making my own sheath out of some hard rubber that I can mount to one of my hoses.

Two weeks ago I cut a grapple out of a ball of netting in a few seconds - if it was any other knife I've owned the grapple would still be there.

NowthatsaKnife.jpg

Who said size doesn't matter? huh? who was it? Plus it helps to keep air out of my right leg. I also carry shears on my BC.

Was this the white handle someone was looking for?

ageddiver:
The Victorinox 4059 or 4063 will go through the heaviest line like butter.

Do you have a link to one of these? For some reason I couldn't find them. My search-foo must be off tonight.

Air On:
I gave one of the old Scuba pro (70s, looks like a bowie knife) to an old freind years ago.
He did salvage diving often so he used it a lot. Serated blades were not realy available outside of the cheap kitchen knives at that point either.

He said he loved to because of the WHITE fake bone handle.

He'd have it out and drop it often (cold water gloves). The shape of the blade and what not made it spin like a propeler in the water. The spinning slowing its decent and the white handle stood out like a sore thumb at any depth so he could always find it.

I'd talked to him years later and he related some of his adventures underwater and the knife was one of his most trusted tools. The tip had broken so he made it a small chisle point with a dremel tool. The sheath gave out due to wear so he had a new one made.

He'd try to retire it or keep it as a back up in his dive bag, but some how the newer ones would always get lost or break. Then he'd end up with the old knife back on him.

I've actually been looking around for one similar, but I haven't been able to find one thats not all Black rubber or a color that fades at depth.

Perhaps I should make a new knife that has the white handle again?
Bet I could cast in blinking LEDs to help locate it and safety for knight dives too.
I wonder if I could make it self adjust how buoyant, to not SINK but hover if dropped?

Check out my post #16. Exact same knife. I still have it but do not use it anymore. Use shears.

never rusts
never is lost
never needs to be sharpened
will not break if used as a pry bar

Let me know if you find such an animal. Meanwhile, I use:
101_0130a0.jpg

I Have a old Nemrod from the 70s its my most carrid Knife in the watter is me a more a

Talisman ,it have a 28cm twincutblade,to cut fishercord or seine with it.

well last year i buyed me a new Nemrod Titanium 30cm blade wail it had look good,well

it was expensive 129€.....

My broken steak knife is fine, got me out of a few entanglements and a couple buddies to boot. My fancy dive knife, well it's on the bottom of Table Rock Lake near some old boat.

A steak knife, some 2 inch webbing and you're ready to dive, well after you break the knife in half and grind the broken edge down to make it safe that is. Cheap, easy to make and cuts all kinds of stuff as good as those fancy $100 knives. Plus, I've been using my stainless knife for 2 years now and have never even lubed it up, still rust free and as sharp as it was the day I broke it.

cummings66:
My broken steak knife is fine, got me out of a few entanglements and a couple buddies to boot. My fancy dive knife, well it's on the bottom of Table Rock Lake near some old boat.

A steak knife, some 2 inch webbing and you're ready to dive, well after you break the knife in half and grind the broken edge down to make it safe that is. Cheap, easy to make and cuts all kinds of stuff as good as those fancy $100 knives. Plus, I've been using my stainless knife for 2 years now and have never even lubed it up, still rust free and as sharp as it was the day I broke it.

Smart idea, I had a broken steak knife in an old sheath. But I think I'll make a couple of sheats with 2 inch webbings like you said. A little sewing with monofilament line should keep it together. Probably can velcro it on a D ring. The knife I used cost a buck for 5 at the dollar store. I ground down the tip in a bench grinder until it was nearly round.

Obviously not many if any spearfisherman here.
Spearfishing you need/want a LONG - Stiletto Point (sharp both sides) knife. The primary purpose is to kill fish that were not killed instantly when speared by stabbing them down through the top of the head.

Back
Top Bottom