Identify this young shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fins don't look right for a Bull.... unless they change drastically as they mature?

Yeah, the second dorsal kinda threw me as well. The Bull doesn't seem to have that, or at least the size and placement is different in the adult.

Could possibly be a baby ragged tooth (cousin of our sand tigers, here in the US).

Could possibly be a baby ragged tooth (cousin of our sand tigers, here in the US).

That was another possibility I came up with looking at various online pics, but I'm far from a shark expert.

That was another possibility I came up with looking at various online pics, but I'm far from a shark expert.
Likewise. And, I never see juveniles, which can sometimes morph pretty drastically as they mature.

I was thinking a goblin shark but the mouth is not right- but I have never seen a picture of a juvenile though.

For now, I think I'll just refer to it as the Cyrano Shark! :D

Reactions: BKP
It doesnt have 2 dorsal fins, what looks like a dorsal is clothing. The only dorsal is behind his right thumb.

C:shark2:

It doesnt have 2 dorsal fins, what looks like a dorsal is clothing. The only dorsal is behind his right thumb.

Wow... you're absolutely correct, and the other pics on flickr bears that out. Good catch.
That being the case, I'm with you -- baby bull.

Well I'll be damned! Talk about a trick of lighting! I was so preoccupied with the face, I didn't catch that. Now that you've it, it's totally obvious.

Thanks C, I think you nailed it! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom