If backplate/wing systems are so good, why do people sell them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nereus

Registered
Reaction score
Is this just overthinking, or am I missing something. I've been looking for a BCD to fit my large body size and have been through the classifieds here almost everyday. Some say backpack/wings is the way to go. Others say Traditional BCD. So why is it that most of the BCD's in the classifieds are backpack/wings? I'd think if backpack/wings were better, everbody would want to keep them and not try to sell them.

A BCD is a buoyancy compensation device. A jacket (or vest) BCD can be thought of as a category and the combination of a backplate and a wing are another category of BCD. They both work quite well.

A lot of backmount "Backplate and Wing" divers are moving to sidemount, thus the activity...

Is this just overthinking, or am I missing something. I've been looking for a BCD to fit my large body size and have been through the classifieds here almost everyday. Some say backpack/wings is the way to go. Others say Traditional BCD. So why is it that most of the BCD's in the classifieds are backpack/wings? I'd think if backpack/wings were better, everbody would want to keep them and not try to sell them.

Tech divers are really into the sport, probably dive quite frequently and are fairly likely to own more than 1 set of dive gear. They also tend to love gear, esp. new, shiny, exciting stuff, the purchasing of which may require selling something they no longer use so much. Maybe this is why you see a lot of tech gear being sold 2nd hand.
Many strictly recreational divers on the other hand, do most all of their diving on vaction. A lot of them have never owned their own gear, and very few will be like a the tech enthusiast, spending big money to replace a fully functional piece of equpment with something newer, shinier or otherwise more exciting.

Personally, I think that the best of both worlds is probably a back inflate BCD. Although I dive a Mares Dragon and love it. The dragon is supposed to be a hybrid between the more traditional jacket style and the true back inflate BCD.

So why is it that most of the BCD's in the classifieds are backpack/wings? I'd think if backpack/wings were better, everbody would want to keep them and not try to sell them.
Excellent Question!

Tech divers are really into the sport, probably dive quite frequently and are fairly likely to own more than 1 set of dive gear. They also tend to love gear, esp. new, shiny, exciting stuff, the purchasing of which may require selling something they no longer use so much. Maybe this is why you see a lot of tech gear being sold 2nd hand.
Many strictly recreational divers on the other hand, do most all of their diving on vaction. A lot of them have never owned their own gear, and very few will be like a the tech enthusiast, spending big money to replace a fully functional piece of equpment with something newer, shinier or otherwise more exciting.

I thought BP/wings are modular, so someone would just sell their 2" webbing when the latest 2 1/8" webbing comes out, sell their crotch strap for a padded one, or sell their bungee'd donut for a big lift wing. Thus they would never get rid of a whole item.

I think it's just your imagination :)

People sell what they have. BP/W's are popular in your area. If they weren't no one would have BP/W's to sell in the first place.

When people sell a bicycle it's not usually because it's no good. It's because they either want a new bike, are tired of bicycling or just need the money.

I think it's your imagination. Just checked out the classified side again. Most are vest BCDs with a few doubles wings thrown in.

Maybe you should look at the reason why they are selling it And not just the fact that they are selling. I have multiple backplate and wing set ups. Some that will probably go up for sale soon. Does this mean they are no good, not at all they are great. I just have no poodle jackets to sell. I have gone sidemounted mainly and want the money to buy more gear, more lights and all that fun stuff.

BP/Wings are more versatile (i.e. more adjustable, so that the same basic pieces can fit a wide variety of body shapes), but not infinitely so. One person may start out with steel, find it too heavy, and go to aluminum. Another may find the wing they originally got has more lift than they need so is a little sluggish, another may switch wing shape for better trim, based on their body shape and size. As poster #2 mentioned, some folks are switching to sidemount. I see lots of posts from people who switched from traditional jacked BCs to BP/W and say they'd never go back. I've seen posts from people who went from BP/W to jacket, but they are very rare.

I got mine when I started cave training, and you can't do cave in a BP/W at all. Got a single-tank adaptor for it and now use it exclusively; diving it with a single tank is almost like having nothing there at all in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom