If I get laid off, I'm coming to Florida to dive - Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

telemonster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Howdy everyone!

There is a bit of a chance that I might get laid off in the not too distant future. I've decided that if I do, I'm going to take a trip down to Florida with to goal of getting some diving in on some reefs. I want to take some great photos.

I haven't completed my AOW (book done, no dives), so it has to be OW charters.

I'm thinking Key Largo. I will probably look for economical (as much as possible) hotel and just try to get a few days of diving in, before heading back to Norfolk (tripping through Alabama, Louisiana, Kentucky and Tennessee because I've never been to those states).

It will be my first boat dive. I'm comfortable in the water, had over 40 quarry dives and one botched shore entry (currents were too strong).

I generally dive a 5mm Henderson with a hood, I figure that should be okay?

Key Largo would be a very good choice for you, given your level of experience. There are plenty of shallow reefs and natural wrecks for you to safely enjoy. Best of luck and Merry Christmas!

Making the best of the situation is the way to go! Go for broke, come the Thailand. You can complete your AOW with me :) You can even shelve your 5m for a skin or 3m shorty.

In all seriousness, good luck and I hope the New Year turns out to be prosperous with a lot of diving. If you already have the manual I am sure you can buddy up with a freelance instructor and enjoy some dives while completing your Adventure Dives. Perhaps someone who does that in the Keys may PM you...

Happy Holidays,

AZ

I hope you don't get laid off, but do hope you get to make it down here and enjoy a little reef diving!

Merry Christmas!

There is a bit of a chance that I might get laid off in the not too distant future. I've decided that if I do, I'm going to take a trip down to Florida with to goal of getting some diving in on some reefs. I want to take some great photos.

I haven't completed my AOW (book done, no dives), so it has to be OW charters.

I'm thinking Key Largo. I will probably look for economical (as much as possible) hotel and just try to get a few days of diving in, before heading back to Norfolk (tripping through Alabama, Louisiana, Kentucky and Tennessee because I've never been to those states).

Don't take this the wrong way, but I've been laid off 3 times in the last 30 years, and each time the new job was a huge improvement.

Nobody wants to quit, but once the job is gone, you get a chance to "start over" and fix the things you didn't like. (more money, more time off, less things that suck, etc.)

Good luck!

Terry

Right, I'm not upset about it. Great company, I know the founders, and I'm a "bubble head" (not in the sense of diving) so I've tried to prepare for the downturn.

But I'd like a vacation, and the perfect time would be in between jobs! I have family in Florida, and was just there for Thanksgiving, but not enough time off to get diving in.

Heck the last time I was laid off I ended up buying a dive shop!!!! Look for the opportunities out there, they do exist. Good luck and hope to see you down here in the Keys diving.

Good Diving,

Getting laid off about a month ago was one of the better things to happen to me. Enjoy yourself and make the best of it. Don't do what a friend of mine did a few years ago and in his words "squander my unemployment" time. Make the most of your opportunities and do what fits your life.

Don't forget about the Springs in FL. There is some good bang for the buck and some wonderful opportunities to improve your diving up there.

Best of luck to ya!!!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom