If you are coming to Bonaire, I could use some things

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvrliz1

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
First I need to say thanks to all of you that have brought me crystal light and batteries!

Now for a new request. I need blank DVDs so I can burn movies. We now have DVD players in all of our rooms, so I want to create a DVD library.

They are ridiculously expensive here. I've seen on line where you can get 20 or more for under 20 bucks.

I understand about weight issues, so if you can only bring 2-3, or even 5 that would be a start. Thanks.

I will be happy to bring you some in late June if you still need them, normal hug service charge will apply. :)

I'm not sure what kind there are. I'm burning movies and don't need to erase and rewrite on them son I guess a DVD-R would be fine

If you are downloading movies from a "warez" site you can depending on computer hook it up to your TV and watch movies right from your computer to your TV. Thats what I do. no need to burn movies any longer

Liz, if you can wait until we arrive at your place on May 29, I'll be more than happy to bring you some.

Herman, many hugs and kisses....
Shaddy, these are for our guests to use, so I think having the CDs would be easier.
Fuggler, thanks yes, I can wait of course! I figure if I can start with 5 here on Bonaire (they want over $3.00 a blank DVD! So that will be good! Thanks all! Little by little I'll build my library!

Liz

Hey Liz,

See you next Saturday! Ill bring you some DVD's as well.

Liz,
The question for "what type of DVDs do you want?" is NOT as easy as picking CDs to copy...

It is easy to be confused by the jumble of letters and symbols (–R/-RW/+R/+RW) that come after the letters DVD.

All of these disk types are not interchangeable, and the type you buy will depend on your DVD burner and your DVD player. Many DVD burners will only burn to either “-R” or “+R” disks, but not the other type.

Many DVD burners are now "Dual Layer". If you have a Dual Layer DVD burner, you can burn a conventional DVD to a single dual layer disc without loss of movie quality or sound. If you do not have a dual layer burner, you will need to compress the movie to have it fit on a single DVD disc. This will result in diminished quality to picture and sound.

Likewise, many DVD players will only play “-R” or “+R” disks. To be sure you get the correct type check the DVD burner and DVD player manuals before making your disk purchase.

The “-RW” and “+RW” disks are rewriteable, which is handy as they can be used over and over again. However, rewriteable disks are generally the least compatible with DVD players. You’re better off using these to save data, and burning your movies to one-time use disks.

DVD Burn Speed

You may have a new DVD burner that can burn disks at 32x or higher, but the maximum speeds will only work if you buy DVDs that are capable of being burned at high speeds.

All DVDs should list their maximum burn speeds on the label, so it’s easy to find the speed that you need. Beware, though, that higher speeds cause more unreliable burns. So even if you can burn at 32x you may have better luck burning at a slower speed.
----
With all this stated, you can't just say DVD-R (like a CD bruner CD-R, because they don't mean the same thing). You need to find the compatible medium for the players you have in the rooms and the burner on your computer.

Read the manual on the DVD players to see what is compatible, then match it up with a compatible DVD format on your burner.

If both player and burner can read "Dual Layer" you will want to use that format... And, those discs CAN be found around $1 each...

That is great advice! I'd add that you can see what type it is on the door of the dvd writer player too... DVDR, DVD-RW, etc (at least in all of the ones I have installed in computers).

Also, wouldn't it be fairly easy to ask your friends to just bring some chinatown specials? In bigger cities they always have a spot you can go and pick up movies for $1 each that are just knock offs. Here in Toronto it is Pacific Mall and their quality is really good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom