If you lay a line from A to B, is there a way to retrieve a line from B?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Let’s say I lay a line between A and B, maybe because I am searching for B in low viz.

Is there a way to retrieve my spool once I am at B?

I could carry two spools and lay the opposite line then come back again to retrieve the first spool and then retrieve the second spool

But is that the canonical way to do it?

Reactions: OTF
Is it wrong to say you simply go back along the line, winding it up as you return??

Please explain why you wouldn't....

Is it wrong to say you simply go back along the line, winding it up as you return??

Please explain why you wouldn't....
In this case I don’t want to go back to A.

Let’s say the skipper dropped the line away from the wreck. I want to do a search. Once I find the wreck I want to get back my line since I don’t want to return to the original point.

Many ways depending upon the circumstances.
  • If you've a long reel and you don't need to get back to the start you could lay a loop: through the wreck/whatever and hool to the spool so you drag the line out. When you get to the target you simply let go of the loose end and reel it in.
  • Use a second reel/spool. Lay (line 1) from A to B. Then attach another (line 2) to B and reel out whilst you reel in line one as you reel out line 2. When back at A you tidy up, then wind in line 2 to return to point B
    • Modify that by getting someone else to handle one line whilst you handle the other
  • Leave the line in situ and collect another time.
  • ** Use a breakable "waster" line that's weaker than the main line and will break if the main line is pulled hard. Elastic band? Kelp? Something natural rather than nylon.
  • ++ Leave a buddy at the start point holding on to the line. The other person reels/spools out until they find the wreck/whatever then gives three strong tugs on the line to signal the waiting person to swim holding the line which is reeled in as they swim over.
Etc.

edit: **added breakaway
edit2: ++ leave a buddy at the start

Tie off at A with some lightweight thread. Dont put too much pressure on the line when you are laying line. When you get to B,give a sharp tug to break thread and reel up. Not ideal because you have to reel up slack line but it's doable.

In California you can tie off to small piece of kelp and break it off but not everyone is lucky enough to have kelp :wink:

Tie off at A with some lightweight thread. Dont put too much pressure on the line when you are laying line. When you get to B,give a sharp tug to break thread and reel up. Not ideal because you have to reel up slack line but it's doable.

In California you can tie off to small piece of kelp and break it off but not everyone is lucky enough to have kelp :wink:
I imagine that if you need to run a line to find something, especially in the cases where you don't want to return to your starting point, it's a matter of safety, like finding the anchor line. Tying off to something with the intention of breaking it off, doesn't instill me with confidence in that situation...

Let’s say I lay a line between A and B, maybe because I am searching for B in low viz.

Is there a way to retrieve my spool once I am at B?

I could carry two spools and lay the opposite line then come back again to retrieve the first spool and then retrieve the second spool

But is that the canonical way to do it?
Two ways:

1. Use a loop around a secure object, then wind in when you're ready. I had to do a similar thing when my buddy lost an integral weight pouch (5Kg) to control our accent to the surface from +20m.
2. Use a sacrificial (weak) line and snap it when ready.

My preference is 1.

I imagine that if you need to run a line to find something, especially in the cases where you don't want to return to your starting point, it's a matter of safety, like finding the anchor line. Tying off to something with the intention of breaking it off, doesn't instill me with confidence in that situation...
The greater the need to get to B, the stronger the breakaway.

Like i said, not ideal.

Running a loop works too but has the risk of snagging or cutting line on rusty metal, assuming you're tying into a wreck.

The greater the need to get to B, the stronger the breakaway.

Like i said, not ideal.

Running a loop works too but has the risk of snagging or cutting line on rusty metal, assuming you're tying into a wreck.
I guess in an emergency you would tie off the line and leave it, or cut it to bring your spool/reel while leaving the line, and come back to clean up later.

I guess in an emergency you would tie off the line and leave it, or cut it to bring your spool/reel while leaving the line, and come back to clean up later.
Use cheap biodegrable twine and leave it i guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom