If you were snorkeling w/ whale sharks, which fins would you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paradise

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'd like to get a better idea since I have both split (biofins) and full blades (mares quattro). My mares quattros are really hard to swim w/ at the surface but I wonder which fins would help me keep up with those gentle giants?

I look forward to reading your thoughts! :coffee:

.....neither?

Since purchasing a pair of freediving fins is probably not an option for you, if I was in your shoes I'd head to the pool. I'd compare them by swimming each fin as fast as you can for 10 laps. Time the laps and compare, as well as your overall exhaustion level.

The fastest/easiest would be the ones to take. A lot of whale shark snorkeling is fast fining to keep up.

Everyone is different. Just because someone else has better results with a particular type fin doesn't mean it will be the same for you.

All the best, James

your not going to keep up with them unless they want you to. wear whatever you are most comfortable with.

your not going to keep up with them unless they want you to. wear whatever you are most comfortable with.

This is sure enough true...!

All the best, James

Oh my...would white biofins look like a concentration of krill?

I started doing exactly what fdog suggested. I am getting faster results w/ the biofins but probably need to get better conditioned w/ my leg muscles. The biofins are much more smooth and comfy at the surface too.

well, when i snorkeled with whale sharks i had two choices. i had the mares volos and the SP jets to choose from. it was impossible for me to keep up with the volos, but easy to keep up with the jets. this was true for both me and my wife. she ended up with the jets and i used the volos (funny how that works..haha).

I had the same question before my trip to see the whale sharks last month. I practiced ahead of time and found that the Quatros were not good for snorkeling on the surface. I used my Tusa Xpert full foot split fins and they worked fine. You will be able to swim with the sharks for as long as they let you - from 30 seconds to 5 minutes plus.

After each run, you will be back on the boat waiting for other people to take their turn, so you will have anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes between runs to catch your breath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom