Ikelite AF-35 will not switch off -- anyone seen this? how to repair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rling

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My Ikelite AF-35 has started turning itself on with the switch in the "off" position.
It will charge up and flash at random intervals until the batteries are flat.
The only way to keep it off is to remove the batteries.
The battery compartment is completely clean and no sign of leaking anywhere.

The off switch would be mechanical contacts, so seems there must be a loose wire inside -- would be easy to fix if I could just open the darn thing. (Long delays and expensive postage to send to Ikelite from here.) But I can't work out how to open it. Is it glued?

I found someone with the exact same problem, but no solution given:
My new ikelite af35 strobe doesn't turn off in the - FixYa

Cheers & thanks for any ideas!!
R

Nobody? Someone maybe know how to open a DS-50 our DS-51, since they look like they use the same case design as the af35??
Cheers & thanks
R

My Ikelite AF-35 has started turning itself on with the switch in the "off" position.
It will charge up and flash at random intervals until the batteries are flat.
The only way to keep it off is to remove the batteries.
The battery compartment is completely clean and no sign of leaking anywhere.

The off switch would be mechanical contacts, so seems there must be a loose wire inside -- would be easy to fix if I could just open the darn thing. (Long delays and expensive postage to send to Ikelite from here.) But I can't work out how to open it. Is it glued?

I found someone with the exact same problem, but no solution given:
My new ikelite af35 strobe doesn't turn off in the - FixYa

Cheers & thanks for any ideas!!
R

Any luck at fixing your strobe, I have the same issue with mine. Thanks

Did you ever find a solution to this? I have the same problem. I got into the unit & found some evidence of water ingress. I cleaned the PCB with IPA which removed the white crud on it (only in a couple of areas of the PCB). The switch seems to check out in so far as I found the data sheet for it and tested it with a multimeter.

When I reassembled the flash all seemed good, but an hour or so later with the flash turned off, I picked it up & it flashed! The led was lighting at the back with the power turned off. The unit will flash when the power switch is turned from off to on. The switch seems to be obsolete or I'd just replace it.

Sorry, mine stayed good after following the linked instructions on Wetpixel.
If it is turning on with the switch set to off position, the switch is short circuited.
Did this happen BEFORE you took the repair for a dive? it was AFTER a dive, it almost certainly leaked again.

All I can suggest is more scrubbing and perhaps a fresh water soak / ultrasonic cleaning to remove any crud.
Check continuity round the switch with a multimeter.
Maybe the corrosion went too far before you could get to it - then the only option would be replacement.
If you are in a humid area, try drying the parts with A/C and reassembling in a dry (A/C) environment, to prevent any moisture inside the case, as any salt residue left on the PCB will soak up the moisture in the air inside the case and cause another short.

Or, if you are handy with a soldering iron and desperate not to replace the unit, you could dig up the copper traces around the switch from the PCB, check using a multimeter that there is no connectivity, and solder on new wires to replace the copper traces.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom