Ikelite DS-125 vs DS-51 with Canon S100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an Ikelite DS-125, Ikelite DS-51, and an Inon D-2000. I'm planning on using 2 of these strobes with Canon S100 in an Ikelite housing. I was planning on using the Inon D-2000 and one of the Ikelite strobes. I know typically, that more power is always better which would say to keep the DS-125 but wanted to ask what people thought. Likely focus on Macro shooting most of the time.

I don't think power will be the issue when "mixing" the two, especially when shooting macro. The primary difference will be the color temperature the strobes produce. Each model produces a different temp. The Ikelite DS-125, for example, has a temp of 4700 degrees Kelvin. The D-2000 is 5400K, and the DS-51 is 5700K. You may see some funky color temp differences when mixing the strobes.

With an S-100 you may be better off with just one strobe anyway when you're shooting macro.

Agree on the macro does not need lots o power concept.

I would focus on which strobe combos gave you the most dependable results. This includes things like recycle time, fibre vs wired trigger, angle of coverage, battery life,...

If you're using an Ikelite housing I would use your Ike strobes, especially if you like shooting TTL and that capability is available with that housing. I've always used my Ike strobes wired, whether using an Ike or Sea & Sea housing. If it were me, I would sell the DS-51 and the D-2000 and get another DS-125 or DS-160. Those are great strobes and can be used when/if you shoot wide-angle.

Cheers!

Unfortunately, the Ikelite housing for S100 does not have strobe bulkhead like the DSLR housings. If it did then I could just plug in the DS-125 and DS-51 with dual sync cord (that I also already have). Since it does not have the strobe bulkhead, I need to fire the strobe/s fiber optically. The DS-125 and DS-51 do not have this functionality built-in so I would need to buy fiber optic adapters.

I was not considering the color temperature of each strobe so mixing would likely introduce wired coloring. Since I have everything needed to use the Inon strobe, I'm going to try shooting with just that strobe first. I'm diving in Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel in 10 days so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the comments, they were all helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom