Ikelite DS-200, DS-125?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hidroj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hy to everyone!
Some day, I hope, I will be able to buy my first strobe for my DSLR Ikelite Housing.
And this "some day" I'll have to decide to spend, or 1400$ for the Substrobe DS-200 package, or 1000$ for the DS-125 package.
I'm shooting, until now, with a 12-24mm and plan to try it later (depending on budget) with the 10.5mm Fisheye. Shooting with a 60mm Micro is also a plan for further on.
With the little knowledge I have of Underwater Photography, I assume that the more power a strobe has the better images I'll get, specially shooting wide angle.

What happens then, if I shoot micro? Is the DS-200 then too bulky?
Is there really such a huge difference between the DS-125 and the DS-200 (shooting in wide angle) to justify buying the DS-200?

Thank you very much to anyone, reading or even answering this thread!
:wink:
Hidroj

Follow this link and you will see that they both have the same angle of coverage (check the box by both strobes then click on the compare button at the bottom of the page):

http://www.digitaldiver.net/strobes.php

You get more flashes and faster recycle time with the Ds-125. I would get the DS-125 and take saved money and buy a second one in about a year. Even for macro, you will get better lighting with 2 strobes.

HTH,
Dave

Hmmmmm, I've been looking at it and it seems you're right, Dave.
Ikelite itself has also a comparison chart: http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/strobe_chart2.html
The biggest difference is the guide number of both flashes. The DS-125 offers 32 and the DS-200 arrives to 38. It's paying 300$ more to light 6 feet further (I suppose it's feet, not meter). Probably not worth for that price.
Thank you very much!
Hidroj

You can get the DS-125 with sync cable and ball arm for about $800 every day of the week. I would opt for the DS-125 initially (I did), and then add a second DS-125 or a DS-200 if you think you need more push. With dual strobes, you can cover more ground than with any single strobe. The additional pop provided by the DS-200 might help in a few situations where you have a foreground object slightly further away.

so in conclusion, is it worth the money buying ds200 as compared to DS125?

sunkarm:
so in conclusion, is it worth the money buying ds200 as compared to DS125?

It is not possible to answer that question because it really depends on what you're shooting mostly and in what conditions. While it may be "worth it" to one person, it may not be so for another.

Hey Hidroj
There are some advantages to the DS200 for your wide angle shots it has a 100 degrees of coverage that with a diffuser gets up to 110. For Macro shots it has power settings that allow you to adjust the out put, so you'll get some great images.

Britt :fish:
:fish:

Back
Top Bottom