Ikelite DS-51 or Ds-50 strobe, and/or Ikelite Dual Sync Chord "ike to ike connection"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrankPro1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As title states, I'm looking for a Ds-51 or Ds-50 strobe and Dual Sync Chord "ikelite strobes to ikelite housing" PM me with offers. Thanks

Already picked up the Sync cord for a great price from a SB member. Now I'm just looking for a Ds-51. I'm No longer interested in the DS-50 series strobe..

DS 50's are just as good... Better price if you can find the newer ones. Here is a picture with a Oly-5050, DS-50, EV controller and Ikeliite case with hot shoe...

Attachments

• BANDED SHIMP1.jpg
    BANDED SHIMP1.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 61
  • FRENCH4.jpg
    FRENCH4.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 70
I was told the DS-50 doesn't have the same power settings on the strobe. Can u confirm this difference? I will not be using the EV controller, so I'm only interested in the controls directly on the strobe body itself. Pic included of the back of my DS-51:
IMG_5797.jpg

It is true that the DS50 only has full power and TTL settings but if the serial number of the strobe is higher than 7000 it will provide TTL with your Ikelite housing and that's all you really need IMHO. If you want to use the manual setting and full power is too much, you can adjust it with the dial on the back of your housing. I recently bought a DS50 as back-up for my DS125 and DS51 for 175 dollars plus shipping. It came with a diffuser and ULCS 1" ball mount and had never been in the water, according to the seller.

Last edited:
It is true that the DS50 only has full power and TTL settings but if the serial number of the strobe is higher than 7000 it will provide TTL with your Ikelite housing and that's all you really need IMHO. If you want to use the manual setting and full power is too much, you can adjust it with the dial on the back of your housing. I recently bought a DS50 as back-up for my DS125 and DS51 for 175 dollars plus shipping. It came with a diffuser and ULCS 1" ball mount and had never been in the water, according to the seller.

I have found the TTL function paired with my G10 system very inconsistent. Sometimes it will expose properly, but it under and over exposes too many shots for me to rely on it. Also, as you've stated the TTL function does not work in manual "which I shoot almost exclusively in". I do a lot of close in macro work and there are cases when shooting F/8 + extremely high shutter speeds is just quick enough to not over expose the shot with the DS-51 on its lowest settings. This is because in order to shoot certain subjects that are in crevices, under overhangs or just really really tiny I must place the strobe almost directly to the side of the lens. I could just back up and zoom in for some of those shots, but that's not always possible. Even with that said, if I could find a higher serial number DS50 for 175$ I would most likely snatch it up.

Question:
you have G10 and aren't happy with the TTL with the DS51? I have G11 and was looking into getting 2 DS51 but was looking forward to the TTL option after previously having a canon rebal with the DS125 and it working flawlessly. do you feel this problem has to do with the camera or the flash??

I'm unsure if the problem has to do with the camera or the strobe itself. The TTL does work alright with only the occasional underexposed shot when shooting wide angle but on close up macro shots it becomes extremely erratic. Using manual settings on both the camera and strobe is actually quite easy. Once you get used to what settings are required for a specific shot, it becomes almost second nature.

Good to know, but how close is close? like a foot or closer? one other thing how do your batties last? I haven't had good luck with cameras or lights that took double AA instead of the battery packs and I use my equipment for work so opening between dives is just asking for leakage.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom