Ikelite DS-51 Problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PharmDMark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got a new DS-51 and I have yet to use it underwater, but there seems to a problem with the power switch. When I first turn it on, the power light comes on and it cycles up ready to shoot. It fires as it should in all modes (TTL thru all manual). However, if I turn it off then back on within a few minutes the strobe will fire as soon as the power is turned on. If I turn it off and leave it off or remove the batteries, it will NOT fire as soon as power is restored. Again the strobe works fine during normal use, but the inadvertant firing during some power up cycles make me think the power switch might be bad. Has anyone else had this problem?

PharmDMark:
However, if I turn it off then back on within a few minutes the strobe will fire as soon as the power is turned on. If I turn it off and leave it off or remove the batteries, it will NOT fire as soon as power is restored.

I'd ask whom ever sold you the strobe if this is normal. Some strobes dump with a full charge when turned off. Maybe the DS51 dumps if it has a full charge when powered on. This may have something to do with preventing the capacitors from overcharging, and maybe normal, but I can not say for sure with the DS51. My monolights dump when you turn them off, and that is normal.

You can also send an email to Ikelite and ask this question. I'm very sure Ryan at Reef photo would be able to answer this question, but if you did not purchase it from them, you should likely expect an answer from that store or individual rather than seeking help from a store you did no use for purchase.

I have one and it does the same thing. Doesnt bother me or hinder any of my shots or intents to shoot.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom