ikelite fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigwalt

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i have a sony cam corder, with ikelite housing. any tips on how to prevent fogging. ive taken it out twise in monterey and get same result. Is there anything i can use to coat before i head out and setup, do i need to set it up in hotel before hand any advise would be great, and i cant wait to get some good video in monterey. Thx again guys

I've heard different opinions on what the best way is to avoid fogging, but the one I follow whenever I can is to only open the housing up inside a decent air conditioned room. Now I know that does mean that if I then open it up outside I'm asking for trouble, but I've found it works for me in most circumstances. There is always an exception of course and you need to think about what environment you will be in and plan around it...

Any type of moisture muncher will help, but only if it is a minor fog up. I've had them inside my housing before and still had a bad case of fogging that only started to clear towards the end of the dive.

Cheers, Simon

When shopping for the moisture munchers, there are different sizes available. For most of the Ike housings there is quite a bit of room to work with. So I would suggest searching for larger packs, not just placing a bunch of small ones in the housing.

Sealife distributes some nice size packs (3 per pack). You can get these from pretty much any dive shop as most diveshops are Sealife dealers.

Actually, you really shouldn't need any of these products. Proper preperation of your housing should take care of it. If your housing and cam have been in an air conditioned room, set them in zip lock baggies and place them outside your door for about 15 min. If you don't have your own patio than you will have to sit outside with them so they don't get ripped off.
If you are on a live aboard and your cam was in your AC'd cabin, do the same thing only put them on your cam table before putting the cam and housing together.
I make it a habit on liveaboards not to bring the housing and cam into the galley or cabin and just leave everything on the cam table. This way the system is already climatized. While I have not used Ikelite systems, I have never had a problem with my Gates systems in terms of fogging.
Steve:14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom