Question Looking for best optical Quality for A1/A7SIII cameras for UW Videography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YahiaAhmed

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of setting up my underwater videography gear and would like to get some advice on the best optical quality that I can achieve using Sony A1/A7SIII cameras. I have done a lot of research and have found that using the 28-60 F4-5.6 with the WACP-1 and for macro, the Sony 90mm lens seems to be the best option.

I am planning to invest in the Nauticam housing, but I am unsure about the optics that I should get. There are a few options available, such as the 28-70 F3.5-5.6 OSS and 16-35 PZ F4. I am also unsure about whether I should go with the WACP-1 or WACP-C, as some people say that the optical quality is not significantly different to justify the price difference between them. So, I would like to get your opinion on what is the best combo I should use for wide-angle (mainly for videography).

for macro setup, everyone suggests the Sony 90mm lens, but I am wondering if there are any other better setups for macro.

Regarding lights, I've heard that Keldan lights are the best, but I'm not sure which model to go for. Additionally, I'm wondering if they're really worth the investment, as they do seem to be quite pricey compared to other dive light brands. Have any of you used Keldan lights before, and if so which model do you recommened? do you think they're worth paying 3x-4x more money for?

Lastly, I would like to ask for your opinion on whether there is a better setup that I should consider instead of the Sony A1. Is there another camera or setup that will provide me with better quality? I am looking for something within the price range of the A1 (my budget is 20-25k for the whole underwater setup excl. camera and lenses), so please don't suggest the RED V-raptor XXL with gates housings :p

I'd really appreciate any recommendations or insights you have, especially if you've had practical experience with the equipment you're recommending.

I don't know if I'm late to the party in responding to this. If not, here's my suggestion as I just went through this myself. If you're truly focused (pardon the pun) on videography, then I would consider the Sony FX3 with the 28-60 F4-5.6 lens and the Nauticam WWL-1B wide angle wet lens. With the latest firmware update, Sony has really moved the FX3 into a true Cinema Line camera (and you can still take stills when needed). It's less expensive than the A1 and smaller than both the A1 and A7SIII. Plus (as of this time) Sony hasn't released any updates for either. The FX3 shares the same sensor as the A7SIII and produces stellar video. And since its smaller than either, the Nauticam housing is also smaller and is more streamlined underwater (always a good thing). Not to mention less expensive.

The WWL-1B works great and with the bayonet adapter, you can also use the SMC/CMC macro lens. So now you have interchangeable wide angle and macro options. As far as video lights are concerned, while Keldan is definitely the industry standard and universally loved, they're also very expensive. I chose to buy the Kraken counterparts and while they are definitely heavier and larger than the Keldan, they're also about 1/3 the price for the same lumen output. I put together pretty much the same system as your considering for about $10k

I don't know if I'm late to the party in responding to this. If not, here's my suggestion as I just went through this myself. If you're truly focused (pardon the pun) on videography, then I would consider the Sony FX3 with the 28-60 F4-5.6 lens and the Nauticam WWL-1B wide angle wet lens. With the latest firmware update, Sony has really moved the FX3 into a true Cinema Line camera (and you can still take stills when needed). It's less expensive than the A1 and smaller than both the A1 and A7SIII. Plus (as of this time) Sony hasn't released any updates for either. The FX3 shares the same sensor as the A7SIII and produces stellar video. And since its smaller than either, the Nauticam housing is also smaller and is more streamlined underwater (always a good thing). Not to mention less expensive.

The WWL-1B works great and with the bayonet adapter, you can also use the SMC/CMC macro lens. So now you have interchangeable wide angle and macro options. As far as video lights are concerned, while Keldan is definitely the industry standard and universally loved, they're also very expensive. I chose to buy the Kraken counterparts and while they are definitely heavier and larger than the Keldan, they're also about 1/3 the price for the same lumen output. I put together pretty much the same system as your considering for about $10k
Then why not the new EZ-V1 that has the same sensor, much improved auto focus (same as A7R5), focus breathing, etc plus it is smaller and cheaper. The Nauticam housing for this camera is also a bit cheaper.

Definitely an option - but the FX3 is much studier and has standard mounting options for landbased accessories - which comes in handy when filming topside. Also, (don't quote me) I believe the FX3 also has some additional features not found on the EZ-V1. And when you factor in the XLR microphone handle that comes with the FX3, the EZ-V1 is actually about the same price, and I feel that overall, the FX3 is a better camera. But just my opinion (and you know what they say about that) ;-)

Definitely an option - but the FX3 is much studier and has standard mounting options for landbased accessories - which comes in handy when filming topside. Also, (don't quote me) I believe the FX3 also has some additional features not found on the EZ-V1. And when you factor in the XLR microphone handle that comes with the FX3, the EZ-V1 is actually about the same price, and I feel that overall, the FX3 is a better camera. But just my opinion (and you know what they say about that) ;-)
I think the main difference is the active cooling system.
I do not know all the specs but the EZ-V1 is basically an improved version of both A7S3/FX3. Product Showcase is also a nice feature that A7S3/FX3 do not have.

The only downside is the single SD card slot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom